Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 09:22:07 AM

Author Topic: Whats the reason for the different probing and touch?  (Read 506 times)

Whats the reason for the different probing and touch?
« on: February 04, 2023, 12:22:49 AM »
Is there a reason for the two different probing ops inside mach 4? A touch and a probing screen. Both seem to be seperate - does it matter what I use? My setup Mach 4, ESS Smoothstepper - all new installation.

My probe is all good and I know its working. Infact I am using the 3rd probe I have in my list. This instead of having several different probes on the same input pin. Well, I have a few inputs for probing and they all work electrically. I see in Mach 4 there is no touch, back off, and touch again. Its just one action. Not like Mach 3. Is there a better way for this? Or do I need to learn how to program it myself? Being an employed father, husband I am sure you guys will know time is precious.

Also, what I cant work out is the outside corner probe op inside the touch GI. I was expecting it (the probe) to come down, find the Z, move back up, move (for example) in the Y+ direction, then the Z should move down below the Z surface and probe the Y- edge, then move around to probe the X.

But, it just probes the Z, moves back up, and moves to the Y and errors once it gets too the limits. Its as if its probing the inside of a pocket. Wondering what I am doing wrong? I cannot see any other settings to change, Ie to make this operation work.

A little push is what I need please. Its been a huge job upgrading this machine from Mach 3.

My next step once probing is sorted is setting up tool offsets as I have installed a new ATC. The only way I can see how to do that is manually, one by one as it touches. Surely someone has created a process using an electronic  z tool setter to load all my tool offsets? It looks so easy on paper.

Oh. One thing I have done is created my own profile. I have copy/pasted all the macros out of the router profile into my own profile macro folder. Was I supposed to transfer other files?

Thanks in advance for any help.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 12:35:59 AM by boydage »
Re: Whats the reason for the different probing and touch?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 04:08:27 PM »
Morning. Nothing like a night lying awake for an hour or so. My wife was not willing to discuss the complications of DIY CNC so yeh, a bit of thinking. Right. So the ESS is watching the probe move. (this is what I reckon) and is happy enough with a single move probe event. Now, the corner probe event is a lot more than that. It probes down, happy days, and retracts. It then needs to c/o two moves to get to a side, and down again, before the 3rd move which is the probe move.

The ESS in all its wonders, sees that second move with no probe contact. Thus says to Mach 4, this is not cool, you need to bug out. (or e-stop whatever it is)

I read a post written by JoeAverage (another Kiwi) somewhere. On the ESS plugin settings screen there are two options. One is "ignore other probes during event" well this I have set so if in a rush I mistake my expensive (sub $500) probe for my cheapo one it wont smash.

The other option is below, and is relevant. Uncheck this and the ESS will allow these non probing moves.

Job done. My setup worked this am with a corner probe. Do jump in someone if I am wrong. But for now I think I am right.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 04:17:13 PM »
Although the probe only contacts once and backs off instead of the double contact. Im not used to that. I guess its the way and the only way to change that is learn LUA.

GOOMBA

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 03:03:06 PM »
I made the probe screen I think you're referring to.
I plan to make the probe move hit twice in order to average the points.
It will be in the next MACH release, don't dig too deep trying to solve this.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 02:27:29 PM »
I made the probe screen I think you're referring to.
I plan to make the probe move hit twice in order to average the points.
It will be in the next MACH release, don't dig too deep trying to solve this.

Is that a fact. Ok that fits into my schedule lol. Thanks.