Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 03:24:09 PM

Author Topic: New to Mach4, a few questions.  (Read 378 times)

Offline Zaae

•  120 120
    • View Profile
New to Mach4, a few questions.
« on: February 23, 2023, 06:45:58 PM »
Hi all,

Mach3 for a decade, now Mach4 for the last week.

1 - Is it possible to set up the built-in keyboard addon to control jog amount? For example, + and - keys to adjust from 1.000 to 0.001 in increments?

2 - With Mach3, I was able to configure the Xbox360 plugin to use the variable triggers to control the jog rate, but I don't find that to be available in the Mach4 version. If that's not part of the plugin, do you think it would be possible to add that functionality through LUA?

3 - What do *you* use for a controller? Keyboard & mouse, Xbox Controller, MPG Pendant, or something else? I've been using the Xbox360 plugin on Mach3 for years, but I'm willing to learn something new if #2 isn't an option.

Thanks,
Z
Re: New to Mach4, a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 07:44:58 PM »
Hi,
1) Yes, it is possible to code Mach such that a keystroke like '+' causes a macro to run and that macro could  'go to the next step of increment', that is the steps that you
set  up with Mach.

2) I don't know, the Xbox plugin was written by Daz-the-Gaz, you might you try asking him, or even better add that functionality to the plugin.....writing plugins
'puts hairs on your chest'.

3) I used a P1A VistaCNC pendant for seven years, and it was good. It had a setting to change the step increment for instance, but eventually it crapped out, or
rather I wore it out. Should have just bought a new one really, it was certainly good enough for so many years that it deserved replacement, but instead I made a wired
pendant. Has three axes,the MPG itself, and a Velocity jog button, the later one doesn't work as it should, but I've been using that for a year now always swearing
I'll get around to improving that....but never have. There is no more permanent thing than a temporary measure.

I use the pendant quite a bit but I don't find I need anything like all the functions crammed onto most pendants. For instance if I want a different jog increment I just use
Machs screen, I mean its right there after all. But my jog increment is set on either 0.1mm or 0.05mm and there it will stay for months at a time......and I use my mill a lot.
It's enough.

A pendant is to help you make parts....its not a toy to play with, and if its not a toy then it doesn't need to be complicated.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'