Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 07:52:53 PM

Author Topic: Mach3: Where is lathe/mill mode set on startup?  (Read 1242 times)

Mach3: Where is lathe/mill mode set on startup?
« on: January 28, 2023, 10:41:52 AM »
First post here. I am modifying a mill screenset for my custom lathe screenset. Everything is mostly working, but I haven't been able to figure out where the lathe/mill mode is set. After loading the screen, the mode string shows Mill and a series of G codes, among them G17. I think this is causing that the toolpath display, even if it's set to X-Z, always shows X-Y and I can only see the toolpaths by rotating the axes with the mouse. Also if I change the work plane to X-Z in the configuration, it will be overridden on startup. The initialization string is set to "G80G95".

I checked the VB scripts on different locations and the ones inside of the screenset, but I cannot figure out where the mode is set up. Any suggestions?
Re: Mach3: Where is lathe/mill mode set on startup?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 03:31:08 PM »
You should start with the mach3 loader and select machturn rather than mill.

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 04:27:34 AM »
it is indicated by the filending of your screenset file.
ABC.set -> is mill
ABC.lset -> is lathe
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 09:14:02 AM »
Thank you John, I am starting MachTurn already

Thank you TPS, changing the file extension to *.lset shows lathe on the mode line! However, when I load a GCode file I cannot see the toolpaths anymore. I could see them before when the file extension was *.set even if I had to rotate the display to see the X-Z plane. On the general configuration the selected plane is X-Z and MachScreen shows that the component is set for the X-Z plane.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 01:34:40 PM »
I have to say that while I can see the toolpaths in Turn I'm far from convinced by them!  But it seems to work regardless!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 02:13:19 PM »
Actually, being able to see the toolpaths has helped me find issues. Sometimes the GCode is unexpectedly hitting soft limits and it's because the arcs are inverted, which I can see in the toolpath display. I then change the setting on the CAM software and the arcs show as expected.

By the way, I got my CNC lathe 4 months ago and I haven't machined anything yet! I am still trying to figure out software and hardware. I've cut some air though.