Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:36:24 AM

Author Topic: My First Cut  (Read 936 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
My First Cut
« on: August 26, 2022, 04:36:01 PM »
This is a first cut of my aluminum made cnc. Cut material is 1/2" thick MDF 12”x16” painted white, 1/8” HSS 2 Flute end mill 1/4" shank, 10K spindle RPM, 26”/min feed rate, approx. cut time 14min. Been the first cut I have selected slow RPM and Feed rates. I also attach picture of the cut after cleaning it up to see the results

https://youtu.be/cf5h7O-DMs4

Still have a problem with my Probe and I attach some pictures of the wiring to see how its connected. The Probe it’s quite unpredictable what it will do, sometimes it will work like it should and sometimes goes up/dn by 1/2” and it stops (I test by touching the touch plate to the bit manually). Today after 3 times which were good I took a chance and let it finish with my finger on the E-Stop but it worked? Anyone has an idea where should I look for a solution? I have use this Probe setup in other machines for years and never had any problem, is it possible because now I use ESS and before I only had parallel port connection to my PC? Also now I use a laptop with windows 8.1 and before it was always a desktop with windows XP.
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: My First Cut
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 04:47:47 PM »
Forgot the pictures...
Nicolas
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 07:13:09 AM »
Good job on your machine. So in the picture is that where you place the black lead to probe or do you place it on the cutting bit?
Regards
Charlie M.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 08:48:21 AM »
Thanks, the attached pictures provide more info, if not clear please ask.
Nicolas
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 08:53:26 AM »
OK I think if you move the alligator clip to the cutter and try to probe you should be ok.

Please note that first test the probe function first by touching the alligator clip to the red wire and make sure mach3 is seeing the connection in the diagnostic page.
Regards
Charlie M.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 10:00:35 AM »
Thanks Charlie, moving the alligator clip to the cutter doesn’t help because I tried among other places. The cutter and the motor been all metal form a common ground point no matter where I put the alligator clip.

As I mentioned the Mach3 diagnostic screen shows the probe is working. When I touch the touchplate to the bit the digitize light on the diagnostic screen comes ON.
Nicolas
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 10:06:04 AM »
 The other thing I noticed is that you are using unshielded wire for your probe wiring. that may be affecting it.
My point about connecting to the cutter is that you don't want to ground through the spindle bearings. Not that it will hurt anything, but you may get sporadic results.
Regards
Charlie M.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 10:14:47 AM »
I understand Charlie, I use shielded cable from the banana clips to the control panel because the probe cable is close to other cables which carry unwanted noise. From the banana clips to the cutter there is nothing there carrying “noise”. I had the same setup on previous machines and never had a problem.

Many thanks
Nicolas