Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 12:40:45 PM

Author Topic: Having trouble tuning steps per mm  (Read 834 times)

Having trouble tuning steps per mm
« on: July 15, 2022, 05:05:59 PM »
Hi, i just finished wiring up my machine and im having trouble setting up steps per mm. Im using nema 23 motors with 1/4 microstepping and a 1 revolution to 10mm ballscrew. That should result in 80 steps per mm. if i manually configure theese settings i can increase the speed and the machine moves faster accordingly. However the coordinates are completly wrong. i can move the machine 15cm and it thinks its moving 1mm. If i tune steps per mm form the built in wizard on the settings menu the coordinate system works perfectly, i can move 1mm and the machine moves 1mm. But doing it this way locks me at a painfully slow speed of 80mm/s. if i then try to increase the speed from the motor tuning menu it breaks the coordinate system again. It looks like the coordinate system in mach moves at a constant speed regardless of the actual speed of the machine. I've never used mach before so i'm probably overlooking something. Any help would be appreciated

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Having trouble tuning steps per mm
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 07:25:50 PM »
Have a look at this post

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=46304.0

Its in inches but it may give you some ideas
Nicolas
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 06:07:30 AM »
I've looked it up but what they explain there its alredy figured out. the problem its not that i cant calculate steps per mm, its that the only way i can input them and have them work is though mach's steps per mm calculator. But doing it that results in an incredibly slow travel speed. if i then turn up that travel speed it breaks the coordinate system again, making the machine go fast but the coordinates meaningless
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 08:02:26 AM »
Well it turns out kernel speed was to blame, i turned it up form 25khz to 100khz and everything resolved.