Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:48:17 PM

Author Topic: Used CNC/unknown software  (Read 1682 times)

Used CNC/unknown software
« on: April 08, 2022, 09:24:51 AM »
Hi All,
New to this forum and Mach. So I did a thing this week, I bought what looks like a DIY cnc router table at an auction. It's pretty big in my book measuring 48"x 100" cutting surface. I am not totally new to cnc having a desk top version (onefinity). But here is my issue with this machine, I'm not sure what software was running it. I found a piece of paper that had instructions for accessing Mach3 thru Vista laying on top of the table and it does have a LPT cable running into the control box. So my original assumption is that Mach3 was running this machine. Is there a more definitive way to determine if it is actually Mach3, i.e something in the control box that is easily identifiable as Mach3? I'm just a woodworker and I do not have any experience in electronics but I am determined to get this thing up and running!

Thanks in advance!
Woodguy69

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
Re: Used CNC/unknown software
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 12:41:40 PM »
pictures are allways helpfull
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 02:38:42 PM »
Sorry, Yeah I'm sure that would help. Hopefully the attachments were uploaded correctly.

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 02:59:38 AM »
this part looks like a parallel port breackout board. a more detailed picture would be good.
a direct replacemant for parallel port would be a UC100, but this is USB connected witch might be not
the best solution. with some ethernet motione controller like UC300 or smoothstepper will some
electrical work be necessary.

pls post also a picture of the paper with the instruction you found.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 08:45:23 AM »
Here are the best pics I could get. I was able to power the unit up but because I did not get a functional computer with it that's all I could do for now. I really do appreciate you taking the time to assist!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 09:27:27 AM »
Also, here is the instruction sheet I found laying on top of the table if that helps at all?

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 12:42:27 PM »
the picture of the breackout board looks like it is a selfmade paralell breakoutboard.
without having the chance to follow the circuits on the board visually it is very hard
from the distance to help here. the instruction sheet is only for basic Mach3 installation
without any information about used pin's.
so a chance would be to look for a PC with Win XP or Win7 32bit and a parallel port,
or any newer OS in combination with an UC100.
then install Mach3 in Demo mode (free) and try an error, starting with most common settings.
other possibility will only be to follow up the circuit's on the board manually. 
sorry that i am not able to provide more detailed information, never seen such a board.
maybe someone else will show up if he has an identical board.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 12:56:34 PM »
You may want to unscrew the board from the mount and look on the back side for a name or any id marks.

I don't think that is a home made board as most would not include termination resisitor banks.

(;-) TP
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 02:41:38 PM »
Thanks for responding! Here is the picture of the back of the board. No markings that I could see. My son is in IT and he is working on getting me a computer with Windows 7 and a parallel port. Once I get that, I can at least download Mach3 trial and see if it that works. One step at a time I guess! I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 02:50:16 PM »
So, I purchased a UC100 motion controller, downloaded the trial version of Mach3 to my laptop which is running on windows 10. I got the two led lights on the uc100 to light up but the reset button won't reset. And quite honestly I'm not even sure which pins are for each motor or limit switches. I'm pretty sure I read that when setting up mach3 about pin locations?