Hello Guest it is April 28, 2024, 06:45:06 PM

Author Topic: Problem losing Y axis zero coordinates mostly after toolchange  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Oli81

•  25 25
    • View Profile
Re: Problem losing Y axis zero coordinates mostly after toolchange
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 02:05:09 AM »
Hi,
while I can well believe that at 24V your stepper would miss steps, maybe without the torque authority to catch up, but it should at least have faulted as 'Excess Following Error'.

How have you programmed the Following Error Window? How wide is it?

Craig

Hey Craig

No never programming anything with stepper motors, thats a new field for me. Will check these and will try it.

Offline Oli81

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 02:07:59 AM »
Hi,
I would guess that you have g0 move immediately after your m6, and your y axis is intermittently losing steps on that move.

What I would like to note and also seems a bit strange (guess this has a connection to my problem) to me is that recently, since 2-3 weeks, I have to enter half of the pulse/unit per motor when setting the motors on the Y-axis (2 motors), so that the axis runs at the same speed as X and Z. Thought first that was perhaps a peculiarity of Mach4 but then tried it with Mach3 and on other machines and also there I suddenly had to halve the steps of the Y-axis even I never changed something at that machine. As an example, on the 2 milling machines, 1605/2005 ballscrews with 1/16 steps have a pulse/unit of 640 default on X and Y and 800/640 (1604/1605 ballsrews) on the Z. Now I have to enter 320 on the Y and 640/800 on the others so that the axes run at the same speed. I don't know if anyone knows this problem, but if so I would be interested to know where this comes from.

This is very strange and is I suspect either the cause or at least a symptom of the fault you describe. Solve this and I'd bet you problem goes away.

You say you have two y axis motors? Are they identical? How have you slaved one to the other?

Can you disconnect each coupler so that you can move them independently. I would start by making sure that you can set the steps/unit in some logical fashion for each motor individually.
I'm wondering if you have a signaling clash or a signal timing issue that is causing onlt every second pulse to be read.

Craig

Hi Craig

Hmm about the G0, will have a look tomorrow morning and will give u a feedback. Will definitely try it, thanks.

About the different steps/unit yes this is strange, more strange is, I took my computer to my small mill and connect the ESS who is built in there and suddenly the same problem there too. I did no change anything at all and now the same with the Y axis, 320 pulses instead of 640😬 I‘m using one desktop to control both machines cause they standing next to each other and have the same setup but both one separat ESS built in.

Yes two motors for the Y axis, one setup as Y the other one as A (Slave of Y), had the option to choose in the ESS plugin to set it as slave (just get the same signal then Y but Mach will not see it as a other motor) or in Mach4 control in mapping. I‘ve use the last option, so in Mach4 under control, motor 1 master Y slave A. And yes all the same motors XYZA.

About the couplers, the idea of an signaling clash or a signal timing issue that is causing only every second pulse to be read sounds like a thing I need to check, but how can that be, if I switch the mill, suddenly the same strange thing happen at the small mill, which I have since 2 years and never had that before. Could it be that something is about using one computer for 2 ESS?
Cheers Oli

Hello Craig,

Have check now the code.

There is a G0 after toolchange, will give it a try without.

Offline Oli81

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2022, 12:16:22 PM »
Short Update:

Changed all power supplies to 36 Volt and changed a setting in the ESS Plugin.

Insted of telling Mach4 Motor 3 is Motor 1 Slave, I mached them in the ESS Plugin and tell Mach4 only you have 3 Motors, Motor 0,1,2.

The problem with the steps/unit with the Y Axis is now gone.

I can't tell why, but I guess if you say in Mach4 under Mapping A is slave of Y and in the motor settings motor 0-3 enabled and tuned, maybe there was I did something wrong. Now all work the same speed with the same pules.

Tomorrow, will test to mill a new part and will give a feedback.

Oli