Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 08:34:04 PM

Author Topic: Delay between positioning during G81 drilling  (Read 1132 times)

Delay between positioning during G81 drilling
« on: March 04, 2022, 06:45:47 AM »
Greetings,

I have a big delay, almost one second, every time the machine reach the position to start the drilling. This is very noticible in drilling pattern with fast drilling.
What causes this problem? Is there a fix? I have seen people using arc movement frome the exit of one hole to the top of the other but I don't thing this i possible with fusion 360 and a hobby machine with steppers. Motion controller is ESS, Windows 10 PC.

Here is a video of the operation and the code is in the attachment.

https://youtu.be/l45STue4wX0

Thanks.

Re: Delay between positioning during G81 drilling
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 08:46:40 AM »
It looks from the video that the delay is after the drill has withdrawn and the machine waits thinking before moving to the next position.  Have you tried doing just a G0 move to each hole position and do a single drill move at each position, just a G1<z depth> F<feedrate>?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 08:57:44 AM »
You mean without using G81 cycle? I don't know if fusion 360 allow that. Anyway I have sometimes moved the machine through MDI with G00 and never had such a delay between me pressing enter and the machine movement. I also thought that maybe this has something to do with the acceleration of the motor but it seems unlikely; as you said the machine seems to stop to elaborate something.
I will test a smaller pattern programmed by hand, as you suggest, this weekend if I can't find other solutions. But if I can't generate the same code with Fusion it will not help much.

Thanks.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 09:42:15 AM »
Actually I noticed from a video I recorded that when the machine enlarge the very same holes with ad endmill there is no delay in motion.
In the attachment is under "Bore finishing" section of the G code.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 11:04:25 AM »
Yes, so the delay must be as a result of the way G81 is implemented in the G code interpreter/motion controller rather than intrinsic to F360.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 05:32:09 PM »
I tought the same but  in the smoothstepper forum they said that the problem is related to mach3 and not controller.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 02:58:32 AM »
That's what I meant.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 01:49:53 PM »
Try changing the Drill cycle to a G83 and make the Q value the same as the Z value. The G81 has always been glitchy. The G81 will also at times cause a stepper machine to loose steps on teh Z. ALSO with Mach3 it is a good practice to set G61 before ANY of the cycle calls. IF not, at times you can break drills,taps,reamers,etc. The cycles are SUPPOSE to set it internally but not all of the cycles actually do it. Be safe and switch it.

Just remember to set it back to G64 after the drill cycle is cancelled. G80 G64