Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:29:26 AM

Author Topic: Sudden pauses/stops  (Read 1964 times)

Sudden pauses/stops
« on: February 27, 2022, 08:08:21 PM »
I'm having an issue with my mill suddenly jerking to a stop, it seems pretty random and will happen during cuts or rapid moves. No deceleration, just a sudden pause that I'm afraid might tip it over if I go any faster than 100ipm.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's happened on my old build that was much lighter so wasn't much of an issue, and my new bridgeport conversion where I'm afraid it might break something or tip it over.
Re: Sudden pauses/stops
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 06:43:19 AM »
Hi,
Which Stepper motor driver do you use?
In problem in all axis? and is repeatable?
It might be a problem with the current (too low).
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 01:09:58 PM »
I'm using ClearPath servos. It happens in all axes at the same time with no lost motion, just stops for less than a second and continues.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 02:43:10 AM »
Which motor do you use? type, to know what is rated current for it.
Also which stepper motor driver?
Can you update with some photos/schematics.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 03:53:55 AM »
They are clearpath integrated servo motors that directly accept step/direction/enable signals from the pokeys board, optocoupled inputs within the motor. No current rating like in a stepper. Running off a 75V power supply.

The issue can't be coming from the motor side, since all 3 axes freeze up at the same time (during a 3-axis simultaneous cut), but do not lose any motion. It seems like it has to be some kind of freeze or overload within Mach or Pokeys. Parts come out perfect even if it happens several times during the cut.

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 04:10:33 PM »
I recognize the same problem here, are you using USB or Ethernet?
Is everything properly grounded.

I use Ethernet and think there is a communication problem or interference.
My spindle (VFD) has no troubles.

Didn't looked deeper in this, as my parts are well made.

Ph!l
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 10:45:34 PM »
I'm using ethernet. Grounding should be good as far as I can tell, most of my parts are optoisolated and I'm using shielded cables. My spindle keeps working while the freezes happen too. Freezes happen even when the spindle (main source of electrical noise) is off.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 10:38:36 AM »
Same here