Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:22:46 AM

Author Topic: Welcome to SmoothStepper forum.  (Read 72271 times)

Offline TT350

•  113 113
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to SmoothStepper forum.
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 09:12:47 AM »
Hi guys

Is the SS read for sale?

I’m doing a lathe conversion and will have someone
build my cabinet.

They suggested that I hold off a bit until the SS was
ready.

Chris
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 12:08:24 PM »
Hi Chris,

Sorry for not providing any updates lately, but that is mostly because there hasn't been much to report.  It has been a slow process.  The contract manufacturer has been waiting for the stencil to arrive, and just yesterday it did, so I brought all the parts over and they told me they should be built by the end of the week.  Once the beta testers have had a chance to report back any issues, I'll get this on a fast track to getting production boards ready for sale.  Thank you for having patience.  Some of the beta testers are overseas, and it is going to take a little time just for shipping and to get it through customs.  To be realistic, it is going to be just after the holidays before production boards will hit the streets.

Greg

Offline TT350

•  113 113
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »
Thanks for your time! Please keep us posted.

Chris
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 03:42:55 PM »
One other thing I just though of. Will backlash comp work?
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 11:58:13 PM »
Backlash compensation is something that really intrigues me, but I have not worked on yet.  The compensation is performed after Mach calculates the motion data, which makes it tricky.  I'll look at adding it to the plug-in after the SS is released.  Hopefully it won't be too hard to implement.

Thanks,

Greg

Offline TT350

•  113 113
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 12:35:46 AM »
Trying to keep it from getting dusty! Any updates?
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 01:26:37 AM »
Sorry for the lack of updates lately.  Getting all the beta test units out the door was a bit time consuming.  But most of them have arrived at their destination now.  There have been a few issues that we've worked through, such as problems getting initial configuration values in the XML.  My fault for it being a bit confusing.  I'm working on some startup dialogs that will make sure it is painless.  There are just a few parameters that are unique to the SmoothStepper.  Otherwise, the SmoothStepper uses all of the XML values that the Parallel Port uses.  I've had reports of beta testers using their existing XML files without any issues.  The SmoothStepper can assign any signal to any input or output pin as appropriate.

Right now I'm working on the jog routine.  When I initially coded it, I didn't take into account that someone might be switching the jog speed from a higher value to a lower value.  This became evident when operating it with a Shuttle.  I think the modifications to the code will actually make it a bit smaller.  Too bad I didn't do it this way in the beginning :-).

It is still hard to say when I'll have production boards available, but I'm shooting for mid-January to February.  The Warp9TD.com website is coming along.  I think the SmoothStepper forum will eventually be headquartered there.  Not much over there in the way of documentation, but I hope to get some of that online soon as well.  You're welcome to check it out, though there might still be some startup issues with the website.  I was having trouble tonight logging in with Internet Explorer, but no problems with Firefox.  So if you can't log in, try Firefox.  Actually, I'm a big fan of Firefox, so if you use Internet Explorer you might want to try FireFox :-).  But the login problem was isolated to me, so you might not have any problem.  You can join the forum over there and ask questions.  Or ask them here.  Right now that will be the quickest way to find out more about the SmoothStepper.

Greg
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 01:43:45 AM by Warp9TD »

Offline TT350

•  113 113
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 09:37:13 AM »
Greg take you time, if I had one here it would be 6 mouths before I could use it anyway!

Chris

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 09:42:05 PM »
What exactly is the "smooth stepper"?  I looked at the website and it looks like a BOB with a USB interface? 

Vince

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2007, 09:46:42 PM »
Its a replacement for printer ports. Its USB, has two printer ports on it, and pulses to 4Mhz..

Art