Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 03:12:04 AM

Author Topic: Struggling to get Consistant Results  (Read 2593 times)

Struggling to get Consistant Results
« on: October 22, 2007, 08:02:09 AM »
Hello, I purchased/registered Lazycam on the basis of a succesfull result with a simple line engraving which was my first experience of CNC. Along the same lines I have another, simple line engraving I want to convert from DXF to a .tap toolpath but I'm getting wildly differant results everytime I offer it to Lazycam.

I'm creating the DXF in Autocad 2007 but I find that Lazycam won't read these unless I import & save in Corel X3 first. When I import the DXF into Lazycam I see pretty much what left Corel X3 (sometimes) but when I ask it to offset or create Gcode things start to go inexplicably wrong !

I like Lazycam because over other software I've tried (& I've tried a few) because it's intuitive & simple but if it can't handle what I consider to be a very simple conversion then I've thrown my £money to the wind.

http://www.babbawah.plus.com/CNC/

Is the DXF file (K Logo 6.dxf) from Autocad (R13/14 format) if you could look at it & perhaps identify if I'm doing anything wrong?

vmax549

Re: Struggling to get Consistant Results
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 10:23:13 AM »
Well what I see is a terrible drawing for Lcam to have to work with.

1. Turn off the background grid when you are done drawing
2. You have created several straight  splines instead of lines. the spines are acutally hundreds of very small straight segments patched together to form a line. That is an Acad export process.

3 if you can work with lines and arcs you get a better product than with spines even though Lcam can interpet the ACAd exported splines as it breaks it down into tiny arc segments.

Givin all that Lcam did create a gcode file and it cut ok. It was just loaded up with hundreds of unneeded short line segments.

Load up the DXF and then do an autoclean, next delete any empty layers that are not associated with the part.

Then assign a leadin( if needed) and a tool. 

Then generate the code