Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:13:43 AM

Author Topic: Wireless Xbox controller / Win10 / Mach 3  (Read 1174 times)

Wireless Xbox controller / Win10 / Mach 3
« on: January 18, 2022, 09:24:51 AM »
I know that other people have asked about this but I wondered what the latest status is please.

I'm in the process of upgrading to WIN10 on a mini PC with UC100 motion controllers.  It has mainly gone very smoothly and I'm nearly at the stage of connecting to the machines again but I've hit a snag trying to reconnect to my XBox wireless controller.  The "receiver" box connects to the PC OK; and the PC sees the actual controller when that is paired.  However though I have pasted the newly downloaded plugin into the Plugins folder, when I launch Mach3 it gives a "defective plugin, ignored" error message.

The controller was working perfectly in the previous XP installation, with both parallel port and the UC100s, so I'm stumped.  Is there a recommended solution please?

John.
Re: Wireless Xbox controller / Win10 / Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 06:15:17 AM »
Answering my own question...

I found a post dating from 2020 here:

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=12753.140

from Novec.  The problem is that the latest version of DirectX included in the latest version of Win10 doesn't contain components from previous versions that are needed for "old" dlls to work.  These need to be installed.

The fix is:

Download the previous version from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109, preferably into a new folder.

Run the .exe file you find there - this will extract a very long list of files.

About the middle of the list is another .exe file - run that to install all the old files that were removed in the latest version of DX.  This won't apparently affect the running of the later version.

Now copy xbox.dll to the Mach3 plugin folder.

When you open Mach3 you should find the error message has gone, you can enable and configure the plugin, and use it after closing and reopening Mach.

Many thanks to Novec for this solution!   It is buried in the middle of a long thread originally started in 2009, so I hope this will be useful to others.

I was getting resigned to having to use the old shuttle express with my new setup which I find very non-ergonomic, normality is now restored!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 06:16:48 AM by JohnHaine »