Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:38:28 AM

Author Topic: I want a proper Mach3 licence instead of the Chinese issued version.  (Read 2048 times)

Re: I want a proper Mach3 licence instead of the Chinese issued version.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 05:08:05 AM »
Hi,
Was the cable from the VFD screened?

No. Don't need it. It was only that I laid a sensitive cable up against it that I had trouble. As soon as I shifted it the
noise problem went away.

I have found the most pernicious of noise from a VFD is not the output to the spindle, not that it should be discounted
or ignored, but the harmonic distortion the VFD creates on the incoming AC supply. That same supply is used for the PC
an other electronic power supplies. Harmonic distortion created by the VFD is inclined to be conducted through the other
power supplies. The frequencies of the harmonics are typically 150z to 5000Hz, and are a real PITA to filter out.
To this end I use a line reactor of about 6mH on the input to the VFD. It greatly improves the power factor of the VFD
and greatly reduces the harmonic distortion of the AC supply. Single best noise abatement strategy I've ever used.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2022, 11:22:48 PM »
Hi Craig,
I hope you aren't having to deal with water damage. We were getting regular updates about Australia's 500 yr event until other insanity materialized. How in this day and age? The entire globe needs an overhaul and we get pandemics and madmen threatening to destabilize the EU and tossing around threats of nuclear weapons!!

A few questions I have regarding basics.

I will describe my old set up..
The inputs for Axis Home/limit switches, Probe and Estop were all 24v based. As I was measuring the condition of an input  24V was present at the terminal until triggered at which 0V  was observed.
My inductive sensors are powered by 24V and possibly the Probe is more than just a simple type. It is warm to the touch.
Tracing wires is not possible for all elements as some soldering for 0V and 24V has been done in the cable chain on the gantry.
Anyway.
These are all "Active Low"  I take it.
Sinking or sourcing?
Are they NPN ? Is there any current being sourced?
Not so sure.

For the new build-
I have wired the MB3 as such:
6 inputs: 5 in P1, 1 in P2 (all 24V to match previous set up)
XYZ drivers:  P1
Spindle FWD:   Relay#1 NO1 P2
Spindle ~0-10V

This thread  is well off the original topic and if you want I will post a new thread with my journey to help others trying to upgrade their USB  Mach3 cards

I will include for your enjoyment a photo of the 3DP mod i designed to get the MB3 mounted in my control box.  The original ferrules are nearly to big to insert into the small pitch spring clamps of the MB3. The heat shrink ID's made it even more difficult. Still not happy but good for a trial run.

Chris
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2022, 12:02:27 AM »
Addendum:

The way the MB3 is set up, you have to jumper  24V (or 5V) to common the NPN inputs for Port1 and Port2. Once you have jumpered that 24V to CM.A as is done to make 24V NPN  for instance, there is little room to insert another wire to power the inductive sensors.  Naturally I am going to need multiple 24V and 0V supplies for the Port1 connections. I used Wago connectors and wonder if that is going to be sufficient. Seems like it could be a vector for EMI.
I have found that the 24V outputs don't appear to be common to one another. So are they only meant for the associated nearby Port?
Guess I will ask around in the Warp9 Forum