Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:10:57 AM

Author Topic: Galil 1842/2900 mach 3 setup  (Read 6564 times)

Galil 1842/2900 mach 3 setup
« on: October 16, 2007, 11:31:09 AM »
I have Knee mill with Galil 1842 and 2900 combo. I am installing mach 3 , I
have install galil plug-in and grt read-out but no jog. also when clearing
e-stop and at start up get a jump of about .100 on the y axis .
Any thoughts on where to start ?
Norm D

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Re: Galil 1842/2900 mach 3 setup
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 12:06:34 PM »
Hi Norm:

Sorry, there will be a bit of a delay on this one, Brian is out of town till end of week
meeting with variosu OEM's. Ill ask him to send me a new Galil build when he returns, I suspect the current Galil
plugin needs a recompile. Try pressing shift while jogging, I suspect the slow jog is broken till its recompiled..

Art
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 01:16:37 PM »
I have just started with Galil and Mach3. This is what I have found.
Yes I can use Linear scales with no problem ( Anilam 5uf) 2540 count quad 10160.
I have been using Camsoft CNClite (not useful) and WinGcnc ( solid 2.5  with conversational).
Tried with GALIL 1842 results were fine out of the box for motor movement and running small G-code files. Though a commanded move in MDI was always in error 50-60 thou off. re-enter command 3 times and it will finally get there.

This morning loaded everything into and old ISA Comp with GALIL 1730 Optima.  Downloaded Mach3 and realized I had to have Winxp on there. Loaded XPpro and set up the Galil card (irq,dma&add) restarted and loaded Mach3 selected Brians plugin and right to the card. Dro works fine, motors jog ,programs read. Only problem is  G90 G01 X1 F12 RESULT=0.994  +/- .020.
G00 X1  same thing. Will get there closer on 1730 than 1840 but .006 to .020 off is useless.
PID is tight i screw KI up to 4 just to see no help. Motor amps typically are at kd 45 kp 30 ki .04. Velocity amps running 140v @20amps peak for a kent mill. Anyone have any thoughts as to tightening response? cranked motor tuning to where rock solid starts and stops just off by a few thou. Have had "perfect" circular interpolation with WinGcnc and Camsoft 6.00" dia circle will be 6.000" +/- .001"
I look forward to using this program I hope i do not have to revert to Camsoft.
To me this is real close to open source with all of the knowledgeable folks out there writiing.
David Merrill
Hillsborough NC
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 04:29:22 PM »
music to my ears. I need to set up a galil dmc 1760 isa card, can you share some of the details on how you set this up?

--jon
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 05:26:55 PM »
Well just to keep up. I have tuned up my servo amps a little tighter. Used the scopes with wsdk manual tune till I got nice tall crisp waveform. brought down kd ki a lot and my response is now acceptable doing circular interpolation. I used the Conversational routine in mach 3 to machine a bearing journal for a kaydon bearing. Perfect about a half a thou clearance. I can accomaodate that ;)javascript:void(0);
Wink
Okay I loaded a new set of ver 7 drivers from Galil for my card(free). I am using old(repaired many times) glentek velocity amps. Thats Tach feedback to the amp. Then I have glass scales on all 3 axis. Used to have a rotary on the Z to much room for error. Those hook directly to the card through icm1900. You can use 2900 or one of the phoenix boards or go to JRACO Jay has a breakout now listed on his site. I am running my card in fast mode though I do not think that makes a difference since Mach3 is much slower than the galil. The Galil card handles all of the motion control freeing up Mach3 for other things. My response is adequate for the DRO though I am currently running this on an old
ISA slot computer that was upgraded to win98. So now with XPPRO onit I think I have slowed it down considerably. But the motion card could care less. I had to install manually through device manager the card. Go through the prompts as old 1700 cards were mostly NOT pnp!
Then allocate resources and you should be home free.

David Merrill
Hillsborough, nc
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 03:55:13 PM »
I am missing the fundamentals of connecting mach3 to my dmc1760 and icm2900
I need very specific information as to how to define the port, the pins, etc....
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 09:00:50 PM »
I am back in town now and I should be able to get started on the Galil Monday.... If you guys would like to help me with getting it to work on your system that would be GREAT :)

So Monday I will wire the Galil into my computer and we will see where it takes us!

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 09:09:13 PM »
Jon here is a link to WSDK manual There is a good amount of info relating to your card and registration.
http://www.galilmc.com/support/manuals/wsdk.pdf
Good luck. I had a servo amp die today cobbled together a brushless AMC to replace my old Glentek. I have always heard you could run a brushed motor from a brushless amp though I had never tried. Works great just a little weird in the tuning parameters. Hope to have the glentek repaired tomorrow.
David
PS thanks Brian I am selling my cnclite on Ebay thanks to you. Everything works well I will sell the WINGCNC as well.  ;D