Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 11:19:28 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 crashing while running code  (Read 1153 times)

Mach4 crashing while running code
« on: October 02, 2021, 02:02:01 PM »
I have finally configured Mach4 and am starting to run parts. The other day i ran for a couple hours and the lathe just stopped. I looked over and the monitor was black and then went no video signal as if the computer just shut off. I rebooted and got maybe another 15 minutes and it crashed again.

I changed out the video card from a 4 gig to a 2 gig nvidia card and today I ran about 3 hours and crashed again. This time the computer recovered beck to the first screen in windows 10. I then rebooted for good measure and ran 2 more hours with no trouble and finished the job.

Anybody else having any trouble with unexpected reboots? I have checked to be sure the computer isnt going into sleep mode and no power saving stuff is turned on. Is there any known issues with my hardware that mach4 wont play well with my drivers? Too many network cards?

New computer (only a few months old)

nvidia G force GT1030 video card (2 gig memory)
3 network adapters. One Ethernet, One for lathe, One for future mill.
Smoothstepper ESS
Re: Mach4 crashing while running code
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 02:56:10 AM »
if its very long file ,i sugesst you as test ,turn of the toolpath display run without tool path display to be sure its not over flow memory issue
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 05:55:22 PM »
Should have been more clear but the lathe ran for a few hours. I made maybe 60 pieces so the code had run 60ish times before the problem happened. I can print the entire program on a single sheet of paper. It's very short.

Also it is not predictable. Sometimes it runs for a few hours, sometimes it crashes in 15 minutes.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 11:42:05 PM »
Hi,
you are going to have to run a log and save it into a file.
I would guess that your controller is running out of data. Most controllers signal a 'Run Out Of Data' error.....what controller are you using?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 05:22:59 AM »
Mach4
Windows 10
ESS smoothstepper
Gecko drives

Standard stuff. How do I turn on logging?
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 03:28:13 PM »
Hi,
if you are running an ESS then if it runs out of data it produces an error window. You would know if this were the case.
Even a run out of data fault should not crash Mach, the machine will stop certainly but Mach itself should not crash.

I would guess therefore that it's Windows which is crashing.

I run a dual core Atom single board PC to run my machine, and it has no CPU fan. A couple of times over summer I've had the PC stop,
presumably an overheat situation.

Logging is on the Diagnostics tab.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 05:09:13 AM »
I plan on running today so I will turn on logging before making parts and see what happens.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 11:24:43 AM »
Ok so I started up the computer to the home screen in win10. Went into the house and transferred some code to the shop computer.  Sat for 20 minutes and when i got to the garage computer it crashed. So obviously its NOT A MACH4 ISSUE. I thank you Craig for trying to help. The problem is somewhere with windows 10 or I have some hardware issues. Maybe a bad motherboard or some bad ram? Shame because the computer is less than a year old and not even used until a few months ago. It just crashes to the point that it black screens (no video signal) and wont restart without unplugging it and plugging it back in. Already tried a different video card.  Who knows.

Again thank you!

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 06:07:53 PM »
Have you checked if it did an update?

I had to disconnect my Win 10 from internet to stop this update crap from screwing my machine.

I use a USB WiFi SD card (Toshiba FlashAir W-04 32GB) to receive code from my PC and it works very well.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 06:11:55 PM by Graham Waterworth »
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 07:31:10 PM »
it's configured so it won't auto update. But it has been having problems from the very beginning.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 07:40:12 PM by stevehuck »