Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 03:02:39 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 Boss Probing Not Working  (Read 2415 times)

Offline nc42

•  20 20
    • View Profile
Re: Mach4 Boss Probing Not Working
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 05:06:27 PM »
In newer versions of the ESS there's a setting that'll cycle stop after a probe failure. Possibly that could be impacting your probe routine?

I think this is the issue, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2021, 07:39:35 AM »
Goomba

when you get the GUI sorted for the probing can you pretty please call in by a different name so it will not override the current version that would allow us to gracefully apply our customisations

Stuart

Offline nc42

•  20 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2021, 10:42:45 AM »
And yes, changing the setting in the ESS fixed probing issues for me

Offline MrFixit

•  7 7
  • Series 2 Boss 6 CNC mill - retrofitted+updated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 09:54:55 AM »
Hello,
To anyone reading this post.
We're changing the way that we probe in MACH4. However don't worry the traditional moves will work and nothing is being fundamentally changed.
Probing has been plagued with issues for as long as I've been at NFS (99% of the time the issue being electrical noise...) and I'm rebuilding the programming behind our probing screen and making it a much more guided experience. This will avoid any confusion as to what is happening, moving forward you will select the operation you'd like preformed and then it will walk you through the process the whole time reporting all values that need to be retained into pound vars, this way we can easily troubleshoot what's happening behind the scenes (along with the logging window).
We tried to make a experience where you enter the values and hit start and then the machine does it's thing, however we find that users with issues don't know what part of the process isn't working properly. For instance, is the machine not doing what it's told or is it a noise issue etc.
This is being worked on and it's programmed for the most part and the GUI is being designed very shortly.
All in all this sums up to me saying, we will have a better user experience for probing soon and hopefully it will allow us and our users to diagnose the issues at hand much faster as you will know exactly what's happening every step of the way.
Sorry this has been an issue :)

As someone who has been trying to climb the learning curve of understanding how to modify the current probing scripts, this sounds pretty exciting. 
What sort of timeline is this project on? I know things don't happen overnight, but I am interested!
Thank you!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2022, 04:48:26 PM »
Goomba,

What ever happened to the probing software rewrite ? Did that ever get released ? If so, can you provide links to the download/version ?

Thanks,
Paul
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2022, 06:53:26 PM »
Hi,
 I have in recent days tumbled to the solution.

As smurh has pointed out it is common to use a g31 move to simulate a g1 move with a probe installed, it's to protect the probe....but a g31
that does not return a probe event is interpreted by some motion controllers, the ESS and UC100 certainly and maybe others, as a fault.
The ESS by default issues a <Cycle Stop> if that is the case and probing routines like mcProbing fail as a result.

The Probing Tab of the ESS plugin has a setting to disable the <Cycle Stop> in the event of a non-contact g31 move.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2022, 07:56:26 PM »
Thanks Craig. I’ll check my ESS settings tomorrow !