Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 03:44:12 AM

Author Topic: different motor speeds on slave on Y axis  (Read 636 times)

different motor speeds on slave on Y axis
« on: July 06, 2021, 09:53:40 AM »
     Newbie to Mach3.  Home built machine 4' x 4".  First start up and trying to calibrate.  All works well except for Y axis issue.  Two stepper motors on Y axis on each end of gantry.  Directions reversed on slave (A).  Both move the gantry in same direction.  However, the slave (A) is running slower than the (Y) axis and causing the gantry to "torque" slightly, and torque enough to cause one of the motors to skip steps (chatters) until the other side catches up.  Both motors are tuned identical in the Mach3 Motor Tuning section. The difference in speed was seen by using tape on the shafts.  In twelve revolutions on the (Y) motor, the (A) axis came up about 1/4 revolution short.  In a single jogged revolution the (A) motor came up just slightly short of the full revolution of the (Y) motor.  Another addition jogged revolution of the (Y) motor showed the (A) motor come up slightly short by approximately the same amount again making it short by a second additional increment.  By continuing to make jogs of one revolution of the (Y) axis, the (A) motor continued to add slightly more to it's lagging travel.
     Received suggestion to wire both motors to the single (Y) driver.  Only chattered both motors.  ?lack of power?
     Received suggestion to wire both in parallel.  "To have two stepper motors move simultaneously, connect the two stepper motor drivers to the same CP (step pulse) and CW (direction) pins for that axis."  I don't quite understand this instruction.  Can this be done in Mach3 under Engine Configuration Ports and Pins by showing the (A) to be same Step pin# and Dir Pin# as the (Y) axis, or does this need to be done on the hard wiring on the break out board to the driver boards?
     The two motors face away from each other and require one to be run in the reverse or opposite direction.  This concerns me when I think about just making change in Mach3 with Step and Direction pin #s.

Running a Chinese 5 axis breakout board
4 Stepper drivers TB 6560
Nema23 270oz-in
Mach3 Trial Vs. so far...

I don't think I'm the first to have this problem, and the solution is probably very simple, but again I'm a newbie and want to make sure I'm going about this in the correct manner.   Any help will be appreciated. 

Bob--
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 10:00:28 AM by SlingBob »