Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:15:41 PM

Author Topic: Help configuring CNC/Mach3 with smoothstepper and 2 pmdx-122 boards  (Read 862 times)

I recently purchased a used CNC that has smoothstepper connected to dual pmdx-122 boards.  I am confused by the dual pmdx boards and could use some help with the Mach3 config.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A little more about the setup.  The ESS is Ver. 1.2. The machine has a chinese spindle with an auto tool changer and is connected to a Delta VFD-m via a usb rs485 adapter.  I have been able to test the VFD and can turn the spindle on/off  via modbus test, but have not programmed a Brain yet.

Port 1 is connected to the first PMDX-122 with a ribbon cable and I have been able to trace the xyz pins to their drivers.  X is using Mach pins 2/3, Y 4/5 and Z 6/7.  I have been able to config and control XYZ movement and Homing/Limits (pins 11,12,13)from the 1st PMDX-122 board. 

Port 2 is connected to the second board via a ribbon cable.  The only connection between the 2 PMDX boards are GND to GND, PWR to PWR (J8) and RLY Com to RLY Com(J7).  The only Outbound wires on pins 12, 13  &14 (J5) from the second board are connected to a set of Relays.   I am assuming the relays are being used to control the pneumatic ports used to turn on/off the drawbar for tool changes and to raise/lower the dust shoe.

I have not been able to figure out how these outputs on 12, 13 and 14 should be configured in mach3 to trigger the relays and activate the pneumatics.  The only thing I have managed to trigger is the raising/lowering of the dust shoe by configuring an output to Port 1 Pin 1, which makes no sense to me.

Has anyone seen this config with the 2 PMDX boards attached to the ESS in this manner.  If so, can you walk me through how to identify connections and complete the config in Mach3?

Thank you in advance for any help in getting me going in the right direction.

Re: Help configuring CNC/Mach3 with smoothstepper and 2 pmdx-122 boards
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 02:49:39 PM »
Here are the Mach3 Port & Pin screenshots
Re: Help configuring CNC/Mach3 with smoothstepper and 2 pmdx-122 boards
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 02:52:57 PM »
Here is my attempt at documenting the wiring.  Those boxes marked as a plug are wires going to the CNC