Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:52:40 AM

Author Topic: 4612 Build  (Read 13967 times)

Re: 4612 Build
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2021, 06:12:16 AM »
Hi there! I am running Mach4 configuration by AVID and the config I have downloaded from them is not the latest 4612 build....I am curious, is there a way to keep their config but also get the lastest build? Or am I at the mercy of AVID to download and release a new version of their config (assuming I still want to use their config of course)?
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2021, 10:03:19 AM »
Hello M2lumber,
message support@machsupport.com or make a ticket here:
http://support.machsupport.com/en/new-ticket
Someone will help you out.
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2021, 04:58:34 PM »
I've just been experimenting with the Inch/Metric settings because I've had some close shaves after going into Configuration and finding that the Jog was in Inches rather than Metric.

That's revealed the following bug...

1) Go into Configure->Control
2) Make sure the Machine Setup Units and Units Mode are both set to Metric
3) Set the Jog Units Mode to Metric
4) Exit Mach4 and restart.
5) Go to Jog 1mm... it will move 25.4mm

I wondered if the Radio buttons in the Jog Units Mode dialog box were reversed, but that's not the case. Inches works as Inches, but so does Metric.

The only way to get Metric Jog increments is to select Follow Units Mode.

To be honest, I have no idea why you would want to jog in Inches when in Metric mode or vice versa. What's the logic behind even having these options. Anyway, either way, if it exists as an option, it ought to work. Anyone setting a machine up to be exclusively Metric can have an accident when it moves 25.4 times further than they expect it to.
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2021, 03:04:44 PM »
We recommend that you make two profiles.
One for Imperial, the other Metric. You should never need to change the native units of a profile for a job as you have to readjust the motor tuning parameters also.
We make this easy by allowing you to copy a profile via the MACH4 loader :)
I will look into the jogging issue though.
I do know with 4612 if you're in inches, toggle the incremental mode to .001 for instance then restart the control.
The control will open back up displaying .001 but will actually move 1"
It's something that is noted and will be fixed in the next release.
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2021, 03:10:51 PM »
We recommend that you make two profiles.
One for Imperial, the other Metric. You should never need to change the native units of a profile for a job as you have to readjust the motor tuning parameters also.
We make this easy by allowing you to copy a profile via the MACH4 loader :)
I will look into the jogging issue though.
I do know with 4612 if you're in inches, toggle the incremental mode to .001 for instance then restart the control.
The control will open back up displaying .001 but will actually move 1"
It's something that is noted and will be fixed in the next release.
Thanks for that. I'll never use the machine for Imperial, everything I do is converted to Metric.

I've had several situations where I've edited something in the Configuration and then had it step 1 inch. You need to do a comprehensive series of tests to make sure that it always uses the units it's set for. Personally, I'd remove that jog option altogether where you can set it to Inch or Metric. It makes no sense to have it there in my opinion. I'm not even sure why you have more than one place where you set the whole machine to Imperial or Metric. It's just confusing and unnecessary as far as I can see. It's an accident waiting to happen.
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2021, 02:53:02 AM »
On the probing tab there isn't a DRO for entering the probe radius. Inside the mcProbing module it writes the radius to the profile after doing a calibration then should display it in 'droCalcProbeRad'  but this doesn't exist on the screen.. or at least within the Probing section
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2021, 11:36:36 AM »
So you'd like a read only DRO that shows what probe diameter is being accounted for?
Sorry if I'm not understanding :)
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2021, 01:38:51 PM »
Sorry, I realised after posting this that it reads the radius from the profile each time it does a probing sequence. So yeah, nothing to worry about
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2021, 05:12:02 AM »
Compared to the old 3804 build I used for years, this build doesn't respond crisply to the user interface any more. There's a noticeable delay when you jog, stop or start. When you jog multiple times it doesn't respond as nicely as it used to do. I don't know what's changed, but I very much preferred it as it was.
I'm seriously considering moving away from Mach4, I really don't like the way the fundamental behaviour changes significantly from one build to the next, with bugs being introduced along the way. When something works well, why not just leave well alone?
So far, all I've seen from the new build are backward steps from what I had before.
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2021, 10:21:31 AM »
What build does Mach recommend as a mostly stable build if you just want to get a machine up and running?
Thanks
Art