Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 02:45:24 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 + SheetCam. Almost got floating Z and THC plasma CNC  (Read 1996 times)

Mach3 + SheetCam. Almost got floating Z and THC plasma CNC
« on: April 06, 2021, 01:23:37 PM »
(Not native speaker)
I've been looking for guide how to make Floating Z, THC Plasma working using Mach3 on this forum and i was able to find almost all answers i needed. Community is amazing here. However there are some thing i was not able to figure out just yet.

My goal is to  make plasam torch go down touch material (trigger Probe input) move a little bit up, cut shape (during cutting hight of the torch is controled via THC module using voltage), move up, go the the next pont of and repeate the process.

So far I know that I need to generate G-Code using postproces that will generate G31 code. I know that i need to set some things like switch offset, however in generated code G31 commnad is used only once before first cut. What if material is thin and it will get warped because of heat?

What do i need to do for Floating Z to behive like i want? Let's leave THC part for the moment.

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 + SheetCam. Almost got floating Z and THC plasma CNC
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 10:13:37 AM »
there are several posibilties to do that.

1st modify your postprocessor to make a G31 and the commands to lift Z-Axis before every Torch On (M3)
2nd modify your M3 macro so it does the G31 and commnds to lift z-axis before fireing torch
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 05:24:39 AM »
Thanks

It was postprocessor. I've changed it to another and it works just fine now. There is an option for distance between probing.

Only one thing left THC. My plasma source does not have output for THC so i've connected leads to "+" and "-"  and I've build my own THC controler using Arduino Uno. I already have code for microcontroler and it's working just fine measurung voltage, outputing THC down, THC up and THC on.
I did not find anyone who build such controler so if you want to know more abut it let me know.

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 09:46:37 AM »
glad to hear that you figured it out.

if you what to share your Project (arduino THC) it will be great.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 07:42:59 AM »
I will post in details how i build whole module and source code for it. First i need to make sure it works and it won't blow up.

I'm not sure if i need to make some changes in postprocessor setting or something for it to works. As far as i know i need to turn it on in Mach3 (there is a THC button on Plasma main screen) and after torch turns on (Arduino will read trigger status and output THC On signal) Mach3 will look for Torch Down and Torch Up inputs and make changes in torch height.
Let me know if I need to set something in SheetCam or G-Code for it to works.