Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 04:45:51 PM

Author Topic: Tool setter, M6, tool length offsets  (Read 3352 times)

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Tool setter, M6, tool length offsets
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 08:04:51 PM »
The tool offsets are loaded into the dialog when the dialog is opened.  The dialog is not updated on the fly.  That tool offset dialog is meant for modifying the offsets within the dialog, not outside of the dialog.  Also, the offsets are not written (even if modified in the dialog) until you close the dialog with the X in the upper right hand corner or by pressing the "Quit" button.   I would not consider this a bug because it is just not how it works.  If you want something that is updated constantly, make a screen that displays the tool offsets from the G code variables.  So close the tool offset dialog and reopen it after the tool change/probe and see if the value is updates.  If the value does not update, then you need to further develop your M6 script. 

Steve
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 10:29:44 AM »
The tool offsets are loaded into the dialog when the dialog is opened.  The dialog is not updated on the fly.  That tool offset dialog is meant for modifying the offsets within the dialog, not outside of the dialog.  Also, the offsets are not written (even if modified in the dialog) until you close the dialog with the X in the upper right hand corner or by pressing the "Quit" button.   I would not consider this a bug because it is just not how it works.  If you want something that is updated constantly, make a screen that displays the tool offsets from the G code variables.  So close the tool offset dialog and reopen it after the tool change/probe and see if the value is updates.  If the value does not update, then you need to further develop your M6 script. 

Steve
Thanks Steve, my problem is that i only have the tool table open to verify, and i can see the values updating as the tools are measured.  But regardless the tools are not auto adjusting for the work piece zero on the top surface.. and this is my problem.  I have updated the gcode with a g90 instead of g91 - and while the values in the tool table are very different with g90 it still does not take into account the correct zero from the workpeice.  I have tried to zero the workpeice from the main screen, (by pressing zero axis) also from the offsets screen, using a slip guage, with g43 on, also with g43 off. I still can't get this working right... my toolsetter is working ok, as it is repeating the same measurements time after time in the table.  Maybe im doing something wrong, but it just doesn't seem to work.. I'm not sure what is wrong but i need help with this! I am upgrading from a one tool wonder machine, so the tool table and offsets are a new dimension that i have never used in mach4.  The video on the auto setter from mach4 basics seemed ok, and thats what i have based the macro code on, but on reflection the video also does not show the tools being at the same zero height after measuring...
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2021, 10:46:25 AM »
By the way you can NOT use G91 in G53 mode
Noted, though it is strange that is the code supplied by mach support on the youtube video