Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 01:20:00 AM

Author Topic: Mach 4 Threading , Spindle Position and ESS  (Read 816 times)

Mach 4 Threading , Spindle Position and ESS
« on: April 04, 2021, 05:09:45 PM »
Hi Everyone!

So a little background of my setup. I currently have a Mach4 running the ESS SmoothStepper on a 4 axis milling machine with absolutely no problems at all. I have just recently converted my lathe to CNC and added a quadrature encoder. I originally could only get the lathe to run in IPM, now updating to both the newest versions of Mach4 and ESS it will now do feed/rev. I run my mill on Ports 1 and 2, and the lathe on port 3. Not at the same time. My lathe is constant speed for now, but will slow slightly when loaded, as expected. My encoder is geared at 2048 per rev and uses clearpath stepping servos.

I just cannot get it to even move when using G32 or G76. If I run the diagnostic on the ESS it says my encoder position is either 2 or 3, but it displays the rpm accurately and the encoder is functioning correctly, quadrature. So I really don't know what the issue is.

Lastly I am looking at threading to be synchronized with the spindle as I have some threads that I'm sure will slow down the spindle, they are also quite long at 6 inches. I also have some threads to chase, is it possible to have a spindle position on my terminal so I can align them properly?

Please let me know what your guys thoughts are and suggestions as I'm at a loss now, but really really need to thread. I am also willing to leave mach4 and the ESS for my mill and go with a completely different option for the lathe. 

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 4 Threading , Spindle Position and ESS
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 09:38:46 PM »
You might try the Warp9 forum and see what Andy has to say.  This really shouldn't be an issue, as ESS threads beautifully.  Now, chasing an existing thread is probably not going to happen.  But again, ask Warp9. 

Steve
Re: Mach 4 Threading , Spindle Position and ESS
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 09:57:47 PM »
Thanks Steve,
I have asked the same question on the Warp9 forum, if I get a solution I will be sure to post it here and what the issue was.