Hello Guest it is November 30, 2021, 06:27:31 AM

Author Topic: Problem setting soft limits in mach3 turn  (Read 345 times)

Problem setting soft limits in mach3 turn
« on: April 01, 2021, 02:41:19 PM »
I have recently bought a small Boxford CNC lathe which has been converted to run Mach3 Turn.
My problem is the setting up of the soft limits within mach.
I set the soft limits  X soft min -100 mm       X soft max 0
                            Z soft min -130 mm       Z soft max  0
I saved the settings. After switching on the soft limits I get an error message.
 'Machine out of limits for soft limit activation'.
This is despite both axis been homed (and auto zeroed) plus the work offsets values zeroed.
(Machine homes in a positive direction as it should)
Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline TPS

•  2,210 2,210
    • View Profile
Re: Problem setting soft limits in mach3 turn
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 11:33:39 AM »
are you using mach3 Standard turn Screen?
if yes goto Manual page and Switch on machine coords.

on These softlimits are based.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 12:45:11 PM »
Fr

Thanks for your reply. I think soft limits don't work in Diameter mode. When I switched over to radius mode they worked. 
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 05:07:03 AM »
Just for information for those that come later to this, as I posted in answer to your question on another forum, soft limits definitely work in diameter mode on Turn at least in vs. 2.062.034 which I think is the recommended release to support threading.  The attached photo shows the "about" window and the manual screen display after hitting the X soft limit.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 06:30:42 AM »
OK thanks,
I intend to go for what ever mode my cam software post excepts. If its Radius mode I will use soft limits. As to soft limits in diameter mode I have yet to get this to work. I have other Mach3 issues to deal with first.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 06:46:27 AM »
OK - as I said the only reason I have them set is in case I try to run the X slide off the ballnut, other than that they can be a pain when you lose track of where Z is and hit the soft limit in the middle of a machining run.  Which CAM are you using?

If there are other issues that I might be able to help with let me know.  I have been using M3Turn for 11 years now and know it pretty well, I've found it reliable. 
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 01:27:30 PM »
The cam software I use is visualmill which also has a module for turning. I have used this for years for cam milling but turning will be new for me.
 I have used mach3 for milling, before I changed to Pathpilot after buying a Tormach mill. which seems vastly superior
I have only done the very simplest of operations using wizards on the lathe. It does some weird stuff when doing internal and external radius. I thick I will do a complete reinstall as I have done some thing to mess things up. If I use mach on my house PC is seems to produce the  correct tool paths. Thanks for your offer I may get back to you.