Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:20:06 PM

Author Topic: Using SmartHome devices to extend Machine Capabilities  (Read 2502 times)

Using SmartHome devices to extend Machine Capabilities
« on: June 08, 2017, 07:15:09 PM »
 I don't know about the rest of you but I find  when my C&C machine is finished it shuts off my router or turns off my torch depending on whether I'm cutting steel or wood.  It also turns off the mist or flood coolant. But all of the equipment that is running to support my CNC like my compressor, Vacuum table, fume extraction,  or dust collector  are still running.

I thought it would be useful if I could extend the control of my CNC.  I successfully added an IP based  eight relay expansion board.
 This worked well for my laser crosshairs and with additional circuitry and lots of wiring I could control some of the other devices.
 In fact it works really well. But I wanted more.

I just completed development of an  Interface that lets me control an unlimited number of smart home devices from TP Link.
The HS100, HS105, HS200. WITH NO WIRES...  These devices use Wi-Fi.  I can now turn on and off and check the status of any piece of equipment values in support of my CNC equipment.  I can do this from my Mach screen or from an MCode.

Has anybody else done anything like this before?  I search the forum and couldn't seem to find anything.
 I search the forum and couldn't seem to find anything.

I'm really interested in what everyone thinks about this capability.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:18:05 PM by MyGarageShop »
Velox 4 Axis Router, Mach3, Windows 7 32 bit
Modified to also be a Plasma / Engraver
with a Dual Chamber Water Table

Some of my work
https://mygarageshop.com/

ScreenSet: SmartScreens for Mach3
https://ngeneyes.com/smartscreen/licensing/

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Using SmartHome devices to extend Machine Capabilities
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 07:46:01 PM »
Although very convenient what’s said it’s my opinion that a cnc is much safer with the least amount of controls, especially Wi-Fi.

My cnc has a dedicated PC with nothing on it except Mach3 and is not even connected to the Internet
Nicolas
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 08:14:28 PM »
 When I'm doing routing on a 3-D piece or engraving before plasma cutting I can have run times in excess of 20 hours.
Sometimes the process will finish in the middle of the night. That is when this capability comes in handy.

The CNC does not have Wi-Fi. Also to accomplish this you do not have to connect to the internet. I have a CandCNC controller. This is on a private network, both the IP based relays or the SmartHome Wi-Fi devices only need a simple Wi-Fi capable Router. The Router does not have to be connected to the internet. They are just there to provide a private network
Velox 4 Axis Router, Mach3, Windows 7 32 bit
Modified to also be a Plasma / Engraver
with a Dual Chamber Water Table

Some of my work
https://mygarageshop.com/

ScreenSet: SmartScreens for Mach3
https://ngeneyes.com/smartscreen/licensing/
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »
I've been here, long runs anyway, only to come back a few hours later and realize it lost position due to not keeping gear racks lubricated.  I hate that!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 09:42:16 AM »
If you can make it work for you and your situation..... its most often a great idea.  :)

Mach can certainly be used to control things not on the CNC. Heck, they don't even have to be associated with CNC. Home automation, security, you name it. Its all I/O and mach is pretty good at receiving and sending that stuff. I have lots of plans for Mach4 in this regard.

I added a clapper to my mill once. People would come by and be looking at the mill. I would come out the office and say get you butt back to work and clap (which was tied to Cycle Start).  ;D Some of the reactions were priceless.  Not the safest thing I ever did and neither was drag racing but they were both a lot of fun.

How about logging in remotely and turning the monitor off? Makes people think the machine is possessed. Once the steppers start with their demonic sounds they are certain of it.  ;D

Or a sarcastic screen set that uses the speak function a lot......... that was a hoot but only intended for users with 0 insecurities.  ;D

Just for fun I added in some code for the brown nosing redneck CNC on a customers machine once. Ran a lot of repetitive cycles. Each cycle it would speak "Gettin it done boss, gettin it done". When it reached the cycle count it would say "That job is done did, surely you can find another job for me to do".

If using Mach enhances your life in some way then your doing it right........ no matter what it controls.  :)
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 10:17:43 AM »
That is awesome!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 03:48:03 PM »
I had to finish my last reply before I was finished.  ;D

Nothing wrong at all with letting Mach shut down the air compressor, vacuum table, dust collector, etc. as long as it is all designed to work correctly and safely. Many of those features are built into Mach4s default router screen and has accompanying Mcodes so those actions can be performed from Gcode.  ;)

I will say I am typically not a fan of automation using anything wireless. I much, much, much prefer wires. But if a wireless link fails and the only cost is going to be you having to pay a little higher power bill........ well that may be cheaper than all the wire. If a wireless link fails and the Estop button doesnt work anymore....... I would avoid it all together.

I have used a good many opto 22 racks in the past for controlling all sorts of things.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 11:03:14 PM »
I was wondering how you were able to control a vacuum via WIFI in Mach3?  This is exactly what I would like to do.  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you m