Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:19:10 AM

Author Topic: Milling machine wirth servos  (Read 42728 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Milling machine wirth servos
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2007, 01:14:58 PM »
Any of the breakouts should work just fine, I have used the PMDX122 from www.pmdx.com and also the Acustep from www.cncbuildingblocks.com  and both seem to be nice boards. The acustep has the index pulse homing feature which is good for accurate homing. I know others that have breakouts from www.cnc4pc.com and www.campbelldesigns.com and they seem to like them so really the choice is yours, price and features will be the best way to sort out what you should go for.
Hood
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2007, 07:37:39 PM »
Hood
Thanks so i can choose just any of the break out board well thing's are looking up.

Rg's
Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2007, 08:36:09 PM »
In reality you dont even need a breakout board, you could connect the parallel port cable directly to your drives, limits etc but a breakout has the advantage of easy connection and the biggest benefit is most breakouts are optically isolated thus your computer wont be at risk if anything goes astray on the higher voltage hardware side  of your control

Hood

vmax549

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2007, 11:16:28 PM »
Better check with rutex first I don't believe they are still in business from what I heard.

I run Servo Dynamics AC drives on my BP Boss conversion , they are the cats meow. Pricey but worth every penny. Smooth, quiet and fast(;-)

The feedback from the servos is handled by the drive itself not MACH. You can wire them up as a reference but as of yet there are no error corrections made by MACH .

(;-) TP
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2007, 12:37:23 PM »
Hood
And the fact i don't have to worry about frying anything hooking up the computer to the drives.
TP
The web site for rutex is still active and allows you to order parts but i did intend to call first and speak with them on the phonethe drives from servo dynamics are $350 each real pricey compared to the rutex or gecko drives i would love to buy US made but the geckos are to small and won't handle the servos and the servo dynamics are very expensive also Baldor offers drives i am checking the price on them but expect they are pricey as well.

Dennis
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2007, 12:55:24 PM »
So what do you guy's think is the story, called rutex today asking about there drives tech support says the drive won't handle my servo motor's looking for a direction here and don't really know what that direction is not going to plunk down hard earned cash until i understand it all.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2007, 07:13:40 PM »
That is interesting that Rutex say their drives wont do your motors. Did they give a reason? What is the current of your motors? You said they were 120V is that correct?
Hood
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2007, 10:16:21 PM »
Hood
That's correct they are rated at 120 volts dc max but the servo dynamics drives were running the servos  at 100 actually dterreating them a little rutex said that the 220 were my only chance and he felt they would not do the job actually told me to try a larkin drive out of Canada or use the drives i currently had in the machine and mentioned the pixes boards to drive my servos like he didn't want to sell me anything tech guy said my drives were really heavy duty and i guess they are but so what if rutex advertise the drive at 200 volts man that should be way more then the motor's need shouldn't wow i don't know which way to go now.

Dennis

vmax549

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2007, 10:36:24 PM »
Dennise you have several options. Is this for a HOBBY and do you plan on making money with the machine. There is nothoing worse than getting in a load of work and having margin drives go out. $$$$$

FInd a good electronic wizz to repair your existing drives. But make sure they are really dead before you chunk them.(;-)

Find some original used drives

Spring for a set of modern digital drives.

You machine is on the upper edge as far as volt and amp requirements for a DIY approach to drives.

Good NEW dependable drives in that range are not cheap by DIY standards but are cheap by high end cnc equipment standards.

You might be able to shop around and pick up a deal on older style but new analog drives that will do the job. BUt you normally have to ASK if they are available. They would rather sell you the other ones$$$$.

(;-) TP

Get on the net and shop around. Emails are cheap. Just have the specs of the motors ready for reference AND know what you are looking for..

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 10:39:11 PM by vmax549 »
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2007, 10:45:05 AM »
TP
I am shopping around for the drives it just amazing that none of these drives well run the servos now i am back looking at the original drives again.

Dennis