Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 12:56:02 PM

Author Topic: Input assignments lost when Mach4 closes with debug report  (Read 834 times)

Input assignments lost when Mach4 closes with debug report
« on: February 25, 2021, 06:59:45 AM »
I upgraded to 4.2.0.4612  ESS V270 from  V4.2.0.3804 ESS V231 and now have this issue.

I've attached the debug report which gets generated every time I close the program.
The ESS configuration stays mostly intact, but the Input pins get wiped out so the machine won't home until I fill them in again.

If I re-assign the Input pins in the ESS pluging, then exit the program I get the error. However, if I go straight back in and check , the assignments are still there. However, yet again, I've come back to the machine this morning and powered it up only to find that they've been lost again.

I don't know if these two things are connected or not. What I don't understand is how these are being corrupted and lost? Warp9 tell me that the ESS pluging writes any necessary changes on exit, but since nothing is being changed, I don't know why it would do that.

Can someone please look into this? I also have the Single Step issue reported separately. We seem to be going backwards rather than forwards with upgrades.
Re: Input assignments lost when Mach4 closes with debug report
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 12:00:44 PM »
I'm copying this question and response from Andy on the Warp9 forum...

"I don't understand why the ESS plugin needs to write something to the INI file every time it exits. Again this morning the ESS has forgotten all of the input pin assignments. I also can't see why only those are affected."

Reply..

"Because we need to save information from this run to the file, so we have it next time when we start up.

It is not that the ESS is forgetting, it is that Mach4 is crashing during shut down. Either your PC is not stable, Mach4 is corrupted, or something else is happening that is causing Mach4 to crash before it is fully shutting down own it's own. This is not a normal situation, because my OEMs are not reporting it and I have not heard this from other people in the forums."

Frankly this doesn't ring true to me. It's frustrating to have to bounce this back and forth without someone owning the issue. I can't see why the ESS needs to save anything between sessions. Even if it does, why do only the Input Assignments get corrupted?
They say that Mach4 is crashing on exit, but it actually does an orderly exit, even though it does throw a debeug report. Crashing in my opinion is an unexpected termination of a program, and Mach4 works absolutely fine, even during the exit and displaying of the report.

Can someone please figure this out, it's untenable having to re-enter pin assignments every time I use the machine

GOOMBA

Re: Input assignments lost when Mach4 closes with debug report
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 02:40:27 PM »
Hello,
Send me your profile Help > package current profile.
Also send me your ESS plugin file.
I'll load it here and see if I can find the issue.
Did you happen to import this profile from an old build of MACH4 to a newer version?