Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:06:45 AM

Author Topic: Mach 4 configuration manual  (Read 3104 times)

Mach 4 configuration manual
« on: January 26, 2021, 07:36:17 AM »
I am new to Mach 4 having got used to Mach 3 , and i understand that we are now in Mach 4  version 2 and has been so for a couple of years.
I am using it in lathe configuration and the manual available to me in the documentation section is Version 1  2014
I found no difficulty in setting up X and Z motions which were pretty intuitive . But setting up spindle control and pully gearing does not seem (to me ) to be well covered . I am also wondering if there is a more up to date version of the manual too, as the windows I am seeing do not seem to correspond with what the manual shows .

Can anyone guide me to a current version or even an independent (for dummies ) book.

Thanks
Re: Mach 4 configuration manual
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 12:16:41 PM »
I know we need to update the manuals :( that is like the most dreaded task! Making manuals is no fun at all! What would you like to do with the spindle? I am sure I can help you.

Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 01:57:33 PM »
(At this stage ) I need to start it , simply switching the spindle relay to take a 230v supply to the DC controller .
I then need to apply a 0-10 v analogue signal to control the speed up or down.

I need to input spindle index pulse  for feedback to tell me  what speed it is doing .
Finally I will need to input ratios for the spindle gearing  to relate the spindle speed to the motor speed .  Hopefully I may eventually be able to do a bit of screwcutting

In Mach 3  I had the following settings :-
Spindle  enabled with PWM control  ( spindle clockwise on  output#2) 
spindle step pin 1 (low active)   dir pin 1  all on port 1
Output #2 set for port 1 pin 17      Index port 1 pin 12

Clearly the settings in Mach 4 are much more involved.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 02:06:24 PM »
The settings in Mach4 are about the same really. We don't do any PWM but the motion controller will have that functionality. What motion controller are you using? Depending on the motion controller will change how this is done.

Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 03:22:55 PM »
Using  uc100 as I did in Mach 3
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 03:47:26 PM »
Okay I will have a look at the config in the plugin and tell you what I see !

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 04:47:04 PM »
Thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 02:22:18 PM »
Here is the setting... This is part of the UC100.

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 03:58:46 PM »
Hi Brian
I have been through that process!  and no further forward
Chose  pwm  control which works fine in M3

I also used the same pin,  step , direction settings which I had used in M3   but  in  M4
However the setup pages are far more involved .. lack of a manual is a serious defect IMHO.
I am trying to progress by trial and error  .  hardly an effective way forward.

I can run a program in M3   Cant (yet)  in M4 .   I suppose it may be easier for those with stepper spindles where effectively it is little more than another axis .

Where are the lathe users out there using other spindle speed controls , Vfd,   Lenze  etc

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 04:00:49 PM by john11668 »
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 04:42:16 PM »
The problem is we don't make that code so it would not be the manual for us to show how that works  :( . I will tell you that we have fixed this issue before now that I think of it. Please send me an Email with your M3 INI and your Mach 4 profile. I will set it up and test it with a scope here and see what we need to change.
I know I can make it work! I just need to have the scope on it to see it working. We make the spindle run tomorrow!

www.machsupport.com