Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 03:01:56 AM

Author Topic: axis commanded over soft min  (Read 2269 times)

axis commanded over soft min
« on: May 08, 2021, 05:07:22 PM »
Hello I'm pretty new the world of CNC. Using Mach 4, I've got an avid pro 4x8 setup and moving but now I've come across this error message " axis commanded over soft min"  which axis will change so they all give the error. This happens if I try to load a G-code or even something simple like getting the Z axis to touch zero.  I have a feeling it's something about my soft limits , maybe they are too close to the limit switches? I know I don't want to turn them off.  I'm not at my shop so I don't have my settings in front of me.

Does anyone know why Mach4 gives this error? Any help would be much appreciated, I've been looking into this for a few days but haven't found any relevant info for my situation.
Re: axis commanded over soft min
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 04:03:55 AM »
Hi,
when SoftLimits are operational if Mach detects a move that would carry the controlled point beyond the
programmed limits then it will fault....that is what its supposed to do.

You can disable SoftLimits or better still you can program them to be effective. Note in order that the programmed
limits are effective and repeatable the machine must be Homed or Referenced....and with proper home switches...none
of this 'Home in Place' rubbish. Do you have Home switches and do you use them with a <RefAll> for instance?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 04:20:19 AM »
that can show up in a number of cases

1 you have not set the WCS correctly for the program

2 your tool offsets are set incorrectly

3 you have not programmed the part correctly in your CAD/CAM software

4 are you sure that the soft limits are set correctly just inside the hard limits

5 what Craig has said

believe me when I started in cnc I have had that same error
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 01:37:08 PM »
Thank you for responding! I'm pretty sure that it's the WCS not being set up correctly (or at all) I'll be back in the shop this week so I look forward to trying to get it corrected. I'll update with any progress. Again thank you, I'm sure you pros get tired of answering these newb questions but it makes a huge difference .

Edit * I have home/limit switches and the soft limits are just inside of that so the machine won't crash.