Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:58:24 PM

Author Topic: Mach 4 Z Crash and Tool Measurement Errors  (Read 451 times)

Mach 4 Z Crash and Tool Measurement Errors
« on: May 08, 2021, 02:26:02 AM »
I’m not able to figure out what is going on.

I’ll explain what I just encountered the best I can.

Machine Specs for Reference:
Procut CNC X30
3HP Spindle
Servos
Linear Guide Rails
ESS Smooth Stepper
Mach4 Hobby

I turned on the machine, ran “reference all” which also sets the home coordinates on X Y Z to 0.0. These coordinates are pretty much right on the physical end stops.

After that referencing and homing, I jogged the probe to the center position slightly above our ring gauge. I selected the G54 Offset and Zero’d the coordinates.

I ran the XY Calibration and after it was successful I ran the Diameter Calibration.

In the test prior to this one we had tried to do a tool change after finishing the calibration and it shot up on the Z and crashed.

This time I thought I would try to reference all and home again after the calibration. I did that, then selected measure tool.

My probe measured at 7.5 for some reason despite having measured as a negative before. 0 on the Z is at the very top towards its limit.

I have no clue as to why it would not measure the tool differently?

After it measured I went to re-measure it, because that number seemed way off. The probe went up normally on Z and it looked like it was going normally but then it just shot up crashing the Z.

We’ve had numerous crashes at the top of the Z. We’d tried lowering the homing speeds and approaches and it seems to have helped, but the. We get these spontaneous crashes and cannot figure it out. I’ve also had the Y axis jerk out breaking the tip off the probe but it was a one off.

Any clue where to even start here?

Mach 4 and ESS are both updated.