Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:20:05 AM

Author Topic: Allowing for Tool Numbers in Lathe Canned Cycles  (Read 1790 times)

Allowing for Tool Numbers in Lathe Canned Cycles
« on: January 12, 2021, 10:39:21 AM »
I would like to specify the tool that I will be selecting from my tool library when using a lathe canned cycle. So, if I want to use T06 for a Rounding Canned Cycle is there a way I can add the tool # to the Input screen for the canned cycle? I, of course, can edit the GCode file and change the tool number, and then save the code. But, it would be nice to have the option to specify which tool I will be using, rather than have the default T01.

Joe
Re: Allowing for Tool Numbers in Lathe Canned Cycles
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 08:28:20 AM »
Where are you getting your canned cycle?
If it is the Mach Motion canned cycles, there is a place to specify what tool you want to use.
Chad Byrd
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 10:25:16 AM »
Hi Chad,

I now get it. When the screen asks for "pocket" what it's asking for is tool number! I didn't know what a pocket for lathe operations was and so ignored it. Why did they not call it Tool?

Anyway, thank you. All's well now!

Joe
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 10:28:49 AM »
Joe,
I would've called it "tool".  But it probably means the pocket on a turret.  Lathes are different in the ways they deal with offsets for tools.  Gang tools for example... more than one tool on a "pocket" or "turret position" have different offsets.  So T101 could be the first tool in the gang tool setup and T102 is the second... The first number "1" is the tool turret or pocket position and the "01 and 02" are the offsets to set for those tools. 
Chad Byrd
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 04:15:17 PM »
We use indexable drills as boring bars after we punch the hole. We back out the hole and call the same tool with a new offset and start boring! It is a great tool and underused in my opinion. In milling you can use a slit saw or Tslot cutter the same way. :)
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 12:00:34 PM »
Thanks Chad and Brian

That's taken care of two problems: 1) I can now specify tool numbers. But, 2) it solved a problem I was having with the Rounding Canned cycle. When the default T0101 was used, G41 changed the profile I wanted unless I deleted that line from the code. Now, with the correct tool specified and the tip orientation specified in the tool table, I get the correct profile, along with the correct G41 tool compensation. Life is good.....

Joe
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 12:22:21 PM »
Brian

I'm slow and it takes a while for stuff to sink in. If I understand you correctly, by specifying an offset to the same drill (say, T0101) used to drill a hole (say an offset of 0.5mm), I can now "bore" a 1.0mm larger hole, without having to call a new tool.  This would be great as I don't then need to index a new holder and drill for every conceivable size of drill I need to use. However, probably not, as the offset needs to be an round number, and not 0.5. I would have to create a new tool T0102, where the X offset for this same drill now increases by +1 (on the diameter). I've effectively created a virtual tool.

Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 02:13:24 AM »
So the way Mach Motion Tools work is the first number is the position on the lathe turret and the second number is the actual tool in the tool holder. So for my Mori Seiki Lathe I have 8 Tool positions, but I use way more than 8 tools. So I have, let's say, 14 tools, well when I switch out one of tool holder with a different tool, let's say tool 11, in to position, let's say, 6 I have to tell the machine it's position 6, but it's tool 11, therefore T0611. Make sure you set all the offsets off for each tool or you'll get a crash. I think I made a pretty extensive post here about setting up tools on a lathe.

The way I do it is tool T0101 Never changes and how i set everything else up, this is the way makes offsets, off tool 01. Then setup each tool you're going to use. I manually input the numbers to set the tool offset. Again I think I made a detailed post here. If you can't find it let me know and I'll run it down for you.

Also, before running any lathe program using the Mach Motion I open the POSTED G Code and make sure it's correct. I get consistent, but massive lathe crashing errors. Now, I posted that and the people from mach motion couldn't replicate them. Even after installing the latest, this was a few years ago and I never upgrade mach once it works, mach version I still get the errors so maybe it's a problem with my CPU.

My errors are with certain operations where it doesn't put the correct tool number, incorrect RPM and aspects of threading. But since it's the same every time for certain OPS it doesn't bother me, but it makes me check the gcode every time which you should to make sure you are doing what you wanted to do. Crashing in lathe is way worse than a mill.
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 10:12:05 AM »
I think you get the concept of the tool offsets :) dry run in air and check it out is the best way. I use the z axis work shift to push the part away from the chuck and test in air.

Mach motion crash? Are you talking about the wizards they make?
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 12:40:45 PM »
Yes the Mach Motion Wizards in Mach 4. They don't crash I just get errors when posting, they are the same errors every time. So Let's say I post a code for threading the RPM will be 1200 instead of me putting 400. Or most of the time, I post for OD turning with tool T0714, it'll post T0707 so I have to go into the code and change the tool number. I posted here about it years ago and I think one of the people involved with making the Mach Motion tried helping and they couldn't figure it out.

Also sometimes when do a turn OP and then a drill OP it'll start the drill OP way back where the carriage goes for a tool change so it starts pecking at like Z6 instead of Z0.