Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:38:37 AM

Author Topic: Post processor help  (Read 6119 times)

Post processor help
« on: October 12, 2007, 03:23:07 PM »
Hello All,
  Well I had a local company create a model and toolpath for me (as it was beyond my current design skills) and it requires 3 tool changes the problem is well when they went to export the toolpaths to disc Artcam Pro told them that the Mach post processor in Art Cam does not support tool changes so I have 3 different toolpaths that I have to run seperate I would like to know if anyone knows of a post processor that can handle tool changes and run in mach 3 I undestand I will have to change the file extension and that is fine I just need to know what post processors will run in mach 3 or quantum that can handle tool changes as I am working on an auto tool changer and would like to use it when I have other models creted by this company (price was not bad) thanks.

Bearwen

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Post processor help
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 07:09:50 PM »
Mach handles tool changes no problem, just use M06 (normal gcode tool change)
Check in the general section top left, there is a few options for what the m06 does.

You can copy and paste the three sets of code together with an tool change before each set of code, you may have to get rid of line numbers though, not sure about that bit, but there are a few programs available that will help you with that.

The basics of gcode aren't hard so it's worth learning.

Hope this helps as I'm no expert :-)
Steve
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:03:50 PM »
I had thought about pasting the codes together but I have no idea how to use the M06 command and what lines of code I will have to get ride of. Also if I use the M06 command will that call up a macro if I write one to move the spindle to a set location and then back once the bit change is done ? I am a total noob to this kind of stuff so any and all help is appreciated.

Bearwen

Offline GaryB

•  108 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 10:32:41 PM »
Email me & we will get you an updated AC postp
Beckwith Decor Products
ArtCam Trainer
Onsrud & Custom CNC tooling Distributor

Wichita/Derby Kansas
http://www.beckwithdecor.com
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 12:23:16 AM »
Gary,
 I appreciate that but I do not have Artcam I had the model and toolpath made by a local company much better artist than I and they said they had a post processor for Mach but since I have a few tool changes in the model the post processor they have for Mach in Artcam said it doesnt support tool changes they dont use Mach and said that they have many post processors for other software and machines such as shopbot, Haas etc.. but I dont know what Mach could read as they gave me one I dont recall which one it was at the moment but it was a tap extension when I opened it in Mach 3 it says error line one I looked and there was a txt message so I looked at the code in notepad and saw many txt inputs in brackets and well I deleted it all out and then loaded it and I got an error about some G code conflict two G commands on one line I dont want to have to go theough all the code and clean it up just for Mach to read it so the whole thing is if I want them to export another toolpath and model for me what post that supports tool changes should I ask for that I can change the extension to nc or tap and it will work in Mach 3? Shopbot, Hass etc...?

Bearwen

Offline GaryB

•  108 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 01:10:12 AM »
Bearwen,
The problem is that the who ever did your file does not have a post processor for use with a tool changer in Mach. ArtCam has post processors for 100 or so machines but quite often we customize the postp to suite.
Tell who ever did your file to get an update postprocessor from their AC dealer or if you can get the art file from whoever did it for you and sent to me I will regenerate your file with tool changes for you. Standard extension for Mach is TAP but as they are all text files you can have any extension you want.
If you have the original tap file they sent you before you edited it and if you like I will look it over, my guess is, they used the standard mach2 post in AC.

Beckwith Decor Products
ArtCam Trainer
Onsrud & Custom CNC tooling Distributor

Wichita/Derby Kansas
http://www.beckwithdecor.com