Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:59:40 AM

Author Topic: Basic question about DM542T hookup to PP BOB  (Read 998 times)

Basic question about DM542T hookup to PP BOB
« on: December 23, 2020, 09:40:50 PM »
It’s been a while & I’m rusty so be nice.

I’m installing the driver pictured below on my mill’s Z-axis and I’m confusing myself.  I have +5V from my PSU connected to the PUL+ & DIR+ terminals and Pin 6 & 7 from my BOB connected to the PUL- & DIR-. 

Question: Should I connect the 5V PSU’s common to the GND terminal next to the +V terminal or should it go the ground terminals on the BOB?  It’s just a simple PP BOB with no fanciness.
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
Re: Basic question about DM542T hookup to PP BOB
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 12:23:49 PM »
There are two ways to connect the driver to the BOB. For the common anode method you connect +5 to the positive terminal of the input and the BOB output to the negative side. The BOB outputs will be active low. This is the typical connection. Change the DIR setting if the motor goes the wrong way. This assumes you have a BOB with 5 volt outputs.

The manual says the enable function will be on when the input is left disconnected. You would only need to disable the drive if you are concerned about power usage and leave the system idle for long periods.

https://www.stepper-store.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/DM542T.pdf

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 12:50:49 PM »

Question: Should I connect the 5V PSU’s common to the GND terminal next to the +V terminal or should it go the ground terminals on the BOB?  It’s just a simple PP BOB with no fanciness.

No, that would break optical isolation from input (PUL/DIR) and output stage of your drive.
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 02:14:54 PM »
Thanks for your input fellows!  My BOB is an old straight through type from Winford Engineering with no opto isolation.  I think now's a good time to upgrade it. :)
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 02:32:19 PM »
The opto's in the drivers isolate the outputs of the BOB. If all you connect to the inputs are switches the there will be no connection of the PC ground and 5V supply ground to the drive supply ground or other machine grounds. The spindle PWM to analog output is another issue should you need it.