Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:38:40 AM

Author Topic: Mach 4 back up / Modus operandi  (Read 1247 times)

Offline DAAD

•  103 103
    • View Profile
Mach 4 back up / Modus operandi
« on: December 01, 2020, 04:40:43 AM »
Hello,

I've finally got mach 4 setup and running as i wanted.
I've already created a hdd backup just in case. But how can i save all data i need from mach 4?

What i've done already:
-Save profile package (screenset / macro's)
-Save separate modules i've made

But how do i save the following info:
-Created registers
-Created keyboard mapping
-Screen load/unload/plc/ scripts.

I can't seem to find these back in the profile package.

Adam

Keep Safe

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 4 back up / Modus operandi
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 02:54:05 AM »
Adam,

They are in the stored in the Machine.ini that will be in your packaged profile.  So for all thing stock Mach, a profile package is a GREAT backup.  Now I can't say for certain where all data is stored for plugins that we didn't write.  But I would think most will use the Machine.ini file as well. 

Steve

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 09:16:25 AM »
Well, I'm FAR from the authority on this, but here's MY drill!

I copy the entire Mach4Hobby folder off to a network location/different HD on the system whenever it's running smoothly. Whenever I'm going to attempt to do anything I consider risky, I do it. When I'm going to install a new version of Mach4 I rename Mach4Hobby to something like Mach4Hobby_4300 and install the new version from scratch which will create a new Mach4Hobby directory and install. I open two explorer windows side by side and copy my "stuff" in to the new install, docs, licenses, plugins, profiles, screens, modules. You may not have to do that much copying if you run a relatively clean install of Mach, but profiles for sure, likely screens unless you've not changed a single thing. I don't copy the entire folders in that list, but the stuff in them that are not "stock". You learn all this the hard way eventually, but it helps to know it up front.

One thing to remember also is create custom names for your profiles and screens so you're not editing the "stock" ones. This won't be as much of an issue if you install as noted above, but if you edit the "stock" profile/screen, they will get overwritten if you install the "traditional" way of installing over the top of a previous install. Renaming Mach4Hobby before an install solves this!!

Good Luck, from a belt and suspenders guy that learned this the hard way in the early days of Mach4.
--
Tom

Offline DAAD

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 02:50:19 PM »
Thanks to both for the input!