Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 06:28:29 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 soft limits reverse axes  (Read 1102 times)

Mach4 soft limits reverse axes
« on: June 11, 2020, 02:16:01 PM »
I had this problem a long time ago and see posting from 2015, this issue has come up again but time I can not flip the values for min and max as the software gives an error message.

Everything is fine as long as Soft limits are disabled.

Thanks,

Mach 4 Version 4.2.3804
Windows 10 build 1709

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Mach4 soft limits reverse axes
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 10:46:57 PM »
This is because the soft limits are set incorrectly.  Min isn't always 0 and max isn't always positive.  It depends entirely on how the machine was built and what motion controller is used.

The soft limits are in machine native units.  To set them, home the machine first.  Then do one axis at a time.  This always uses the right hand rule.  She the Mill G code programming manual on page 6 for what the right hand rule is. 

Run the axis towards the positive side until you hit the limit switch.  You should see the + limit light up on the diagnostic page.  Then back off a bit.  Then record this machine position for that axis.  It will go in the soft limit Max field. 

Run the axis towards the negative side until you hit the limit switch.  You should see the - limit light up on the diagnostic page.  Then back off a bit.  Then record this machine position for that axis.  It will go in the soft limit Min field. 

Steve
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 06:47:43 AM »
Hi Steve,
This is an awesome piece of information that I will have to take out into the shop and try out.
Is this in the Mach 4 manual? If not it should be.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 12:45:44 PM »
Hi Steve,
This is an awesome piece of information that I will have to take out into the shop and try out.
Is this in the Mach 4 manual? If not it should be.

Mike

Yeah, good info, but thinking about it, how else would you DO it? You need to find out where those limit switches are relative to where your home switch is. How, other than jogging over 'til you hit 'em, would you do it?

Tom
--
Tom