Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 08:18:57 AM

Author Topic: 4th axis setup  (Read 618 times)

4th axis setup
« on: November 28, 2020, 05:31:23 PM »
I am adding a 4th axis to my Mach 3 driven CNC. I need to swing 45 degrees from 0 each direction and can, by using a lever switch, use one limit for Home, --A and ++A . The question is, Can I eliminate having adjustable stops at each end by using the Home 0ffsets entries in the Motor Home/Soft limits dialog?

When you home the machine, instead of adjusting the limit switch stop positions to get the machine to find the correct zero, could you home the machine(--A), measure the position error and reset the Home Offsets to compensate? ++A would be for soft limits and could float a small amount.

Otherwise, If I say 0 is 45 degrees away from home why could I not say Its 44.8 degrees or 45.3 degrees? Thanks Ed Courter

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: 4th axis setup
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 10:06:35 PM »
Yes you can enter the amount you want the home offset by and then zero will be in the plane you set.

So home the A axis, clock the table level, then enter the offset in the home off dro, you might have to set it the opposite sign depending on your set up.  e.g. swap + and - if it goes the wrong way after a re-home.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 10:10:02 PM by Graham Waterworth »
Without engineers the world stops
Re: 4th axis setup
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 08:54:22 AM »
Thanks for the help, Edward