Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:15:08 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 Longarm Quilting Machine  (Read 3227 times)

Mach3 Longarm Quilting Machine
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:41:22 AM »
Hi,

I'm New to the Mach support Forum and was wondering if someone can maybe assist with some questions.

If automated my quilting machine using a X&Y pulley and using a mach3 breakout board, everything  works fine but I would like to know if the following will be possible.

1.  A command or button to have a needle up/down function

2.  A screen set where you can map your work area and fit your design into that area irrespective of the shape

3.  A command or button to do like a lock stitch before your start sewing so that it will lock in the thread

4.  Can you sync the sewing machine motor (AC) that the motor goes slower and faster as the X&Y moves(or does someone maybe
     know how to  make a easy stitch regulator where you can indicate how many stitches you wont per inc.

Hope that someone will be able to assist.

Thank  you 

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 Longarm Quilting Machine
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 01:28:12 PM »
1.  A command or button to have a needle up/down function

that can be done via a button script or a macro call like M8(cooling on) would be an exaple to Switch an Output

2.  A screen set where you can map your work area and fit your design into that area irrespective of the shape

here i am not realy sure what you exactly mean (may depend on my bad bavarian english)

3.  A command or button to do like a lock stitch before your start sewing so that it will lock in the thread

same as 1. maybe Mist On function can be used for that

4.  Can you sync the sewing machine motor (AC) that the motor goes slower and faster as the X&Y moves(or does someone maybe
     know how to  make a easy stitch regulator where you can indicate how many stitches you wont per inc.

dont know your breakout board, maybe o analog Output (witch is a mirror of the actual feedrate) can do this

so we Need some more informations about your Hardware.

TPS
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 01:49:42 PM »
Mach3 breakout board sounds to me as cheap chinese :)
I'm not sure if it was on this forum or some other one, that someone uses Mach3 for quilting.
Use search, please.
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:52:12 PM »
Thank you for your reply.  Im not sure how to do all of this?

About number 2.  say maybe you have a square but its not 100% square can you maybe plot the 4 corners and insert your design into that

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 01:53:42 PM »
Hi, ZASto

I have searched the forum but all dead ends

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 02:02:55 PM »
Thank you for your reply.  Im not sure how to do all of this?

About number 2.  say maybe you have a square but its not 100% square can you maybe plot the 4 corners and insert your design into that

as sayed for 1. and 3. it will be easy to Switch an Output/relay on your breakout board (type??),
but how you can inplemet this on your quilting machine ??
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 02:18:33 AM »
Here are a couple of threads which may enable you to get started;

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,13859.0.html

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-wood-router-project-log/57404-cam-software-33.html

I initially used a stepper to drive my machine and a slotted disc on the main shaft to sense the needle position (needle clear of work).
Although I obtained some reasonable results at embroidery, the mass of the moving parts prevented me getting any more than 4 stitches per second. The project required so much more experimentation to progress further and I eventually ran out of enthusiasm.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 05:43:20 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 12:59:53 PM »
To the gentleman asking about quilting machines.  Hi, My name is Larry.  I developed a quilting machine back in 2007, using a 4 port parallel controller card from Rockcliff Machine, (no longer selling that board).  I used two Nema 17 steppers for movement, a Husqvarna quilting machine (manual), a needle controller that sensed the movement of the carriage using two Encoders attached to the needle controller.  I designed what I called "the CNC Quilter", to be controlled by Mach3.  The operation of the quilter was extremely easy tgo use, and my wife produced more than 40 different quilts of varying sizes.  I now have the machine controlled by a BitSensor USB card sold by BuildYourCnc.com.  They are located down in Florida.  I must be honest, this card is not very good, as it is very hard to setup.  I have worked out the settings in Ports and Pins that control the card, but it took much experimentation.  As far as buttons on the screens, yes that can be done.  I designed a whole new screen for the quilter, that is just for quilting.  It has a problem that I believe is related to the USB controller.  The OFFLINE button refuses to work, and is, for me, definitely needed for proper alignment of the needle on the fabric.  If there is more info that you need, I can be reached via email at Opa3times@gmail.com.

Larry Lamb
W4LML