Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 11:46:40 AM

Author Topic: Mach with Brains, smart enough for closed loop?  (Read 13941 times)

Mach with Brains, smart enough for closed loop?
« on: October 04, 2007, 01:24:09 PM »
I just watched the videos on the new brains,
So... My brain wants me to ask all your brains if they think programming with Mach's brains could do closed loop with this.

Someone has recently been working with EMC2 and reportedly has closed loop with steppers & 2 parallel ports working.
Thanks for any answers,
Cutmore

vmax549

Re: Mach with Brains, smart enough for closed loop?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 01:38:32 PM »
I don't think so, But I have been wrong before(;-) In general to do a real closed loop at the software level it would have to be able to run in real time. The inputs from the servos/steppers would have to be on a realtime loop within mach and I don't think you can do it in MACH3. Quatium? Maybe(;-)

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 07:46:43 PM »
As fate would have it im the guy that did the stepper with encoder setup with emc2 and 2 parallel ports.i just learned about mach brain last night.I have downloaded the latest version and presently working on getting a brain to stop the software if it gets out of position.This has already been done in mach with a macro pump,and more recently with a plugin for the rogers encoder board.I dont see why it cant be done with a brain.Vmax is correct in the fact that to be real closed loop at the software level it needs to be realtime,however this would still be a tremendous safety advantage,allow you to use the encoders as a dro when the motors are off,and help to avoid needlessly scrapping a part.Unfortunately I dont know how long it will take,im new to brains,any input is welcome.I have a machine here to test a brain if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks,Joe

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 08:31:52 PM »
Hey Joe, have you looked at the latest video for Brains, MPG?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:06:43 PM »
Brett,

Just watched it,im trying to do a compare of the encoder dro to the g53 position,can get it to turn on an output when it exceeds a set value,ex:output 2 comes on if the difference is greater than .005,but cant get it to estop mach yet.

Joe

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 02:08:24 AM »
Does it not work if you put the termination as a button press rather than an output?
Hood
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 12:37:41 PM »
Hi Joe,
How well does the closed loop work with EMC2? Is it a realtime closed loop or similar to Mach with brains?
I think if someone can get Mach to do closed loop or even just perform an e-stop if out of position that would be reallly helpful.
Thanks,
Cutmore

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 02:44:05 PM »
I think if someone can get Mach to do closed loop or even just perform an e-stop if out of position that would be reallly helpful.

Cutmore, Mach does that already, If you have servos and the drives fault out because the axis are out of position then (If you have it set up) Mach will fault out. You can also do the same with steppers if you have encoders and Ron Rogers encoder Interface board.

Hood
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 04:36:40 PM »
Hood,

How would you setup a gecko g320 to estop mach if the drive faults?

Thanks,Joe.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 04:49:19 PM »
I use Industrial style drives with configurable I/O so I use that to input to Mach. I am not sure about the G320 drives but I think they have a fault terminal on them. If so then you can hook this up to Input 1 in Mach and then go to the general  config page and check the program lockout box. I also have a Brain looking at the drive enable signals so that it will stop the possibility of jogging/MPg if the drive is in fault