Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 03:42:04 PM

Author Topic: 5 axis machine build  (Read 2018 times)

5 axis machine build
« on: October 07, 2020, 10:48:52 AM »
Good Morning
I'm having issues with stop start movement of rotary C axis on from Mach4 when cutting continues 5 axis movement but also rotary and 3axis movement.
I have done the usual G64 ......fiddled with motor tuning(A LOT) and code from Cam.

anybody running 5axis machines that can shed some light?

kind regards
Marne
Re: 5 axis machine build
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 05:22:26 PM »
To check if the error is in the HiCON controller, please do Test Motion on B and C axis using the plugin config screen, and watch the motor and the graph for any jerks.  This way it will isolate if the problem is mach4 or the motion controller or your mechanical system.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 01:49:40 AM »
Good Morning and thank you for the reply.

Must apologize think my original post was vague.
My problem is actual Gcode related and how Mach4 reads and then outputs it to Integra. When doing Manual jogging as well as MDI jogging all is very smooth and very happy with machine setup and controller.

My problem started when I started preparing post processors for the 5 axis machine I'm building.

So...when generating 3D toolpaths weather its in 3axis, 3+2 or continues 5 axis My cam software outputs point to point (Polylines) Mach4 seems to have a problem with smoothing these points.

When originally I decided to purchase controller one of my decisions to purchase was two of the specs on the controller as per website.
(Modes of Motion: Point-to-Point, Linear and Circular interpolation, Jogging, Electronic Gearing, Feed rate Override)
as well as
(High Speed 3D machining support)
So...My question is, is there something I'm missing with either activating something on controller or Mach4?

I have tried using G64 and ran the Cv wizard in mach4 but the values need to be so high to make any difference so I'm sure problem is somewhere else. Example: I only get better results when program to tolerance  as high as 0.6mm. I have spend quite some time on Motor tuning.....high and low accelerations but still no luck.

Any help, assistance will be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional info please let me know.

Kind regards
Marne
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 02:08:21 AM »
Also quick question?  Im running Trial version of Mach4 to confirm....could it be a trial issue?

kind regards
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 05:35:30 PM »
Hello

We contacted Mach Support and got this answer

High acceleration values make CV blending hold closer to the paths, thus LESS smoothing.  He should NOT run the CV wizard unless he is using extreme angles.  Set the look ahead to 200 or so. 

Also, smoothing the points is not the job of Mach or any CNC.  The job of the CNC is to follow the points as closely as possible!! 

CV was designed to allow for faster roughing where each segment doesn't come to a complete stop.  So CV does have the effect of smoothing.  Within the constraints of the motors' capabilities.  But it isn't going to smooth out very course polygons. 

If he wants smoother polygons, the CAM program needs to make them more granular.  That is the best bet for him. 

If you are facing further problems related to Mach please contact their support.

It is better to use a licensed Mach4. We have Mach licenses available on our website for purchase. Please scroll to the bottom for prices.

http://www.vitalsystem.com/portal/motion/hicon/hicon_integra/hicon_integra.php