Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 10:59:27 PM

Author Topic: Zeroing Z not taking when I do manual tool change?  (Read 1346 times)

Zeroing Z not taking when I do manual tool change?
« on: September 21, 2020, 10:48:05 PM »
So, I've been cutting all kinds of stuff on my router with multiple programs (1 per tool), but now that I got the basic Mach4 manual tool change working, I am trying some programs with 2 tools. Both times I've had the same problem where the program pauses and says to load tool 2, so I do so, then find the top of the part with the new tool using jogging, using a piece of .3mm shim and then offsetting .3mm and hitting Zero Z, but then when I resume the program, the height is off, too high.

The program is supposed to cut all around a 2mm thick panel and go Z-2.1 (I opened the Gcode and verified), but I watched while the prgram was running and it was at some weird number like Z -1.2475. I don't know why it would do that. Even if I had forgotten to re-zero, wouldn't the program still just go to Z-2.1 and then have the offset be all screwed and possibly crash? Where the hell did it get -1.2475 from? It's not even in the code.

Any help much appreciated!
Re: Zeroing Z not taking when I do manual tool change?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 11:32:02 AM »
Did you ever resolve this problem. I just had the same problem. I swapped the tool and touched off and manually reset the Z DRO to .471. When I hit cycle start Z was supposed to go to .335 but went to -1.468 and obliterated the tool and the entire setup. Is there something else that needs to be done on a manual tool change? Some setting somewhere that needs to be checked?