Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:39:29 PM

Author Topic: Long Cutting Times  (Read 4181 times)

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
Long Cutting Times
« on: October 02, 2007, 07:15:00 AM »
Hi all,
I'm using Mach3 along with PhotoVCarve. Some of the pictures take a long time to cut. Has anyone paused the process overnight and come back the next day and finish the job? I realize that the computer and all support equipment needs to stay powered up also.
Any tricks or tips that helps complete the job?
Thanks olf20
Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998
Re: Long Cutting Times
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 04:01:15 PM »
What I would do is first in PhotoVcarve it shows you the cut time based on the feed rate you set for the tool.  This will allow you to schedule your jobs differently. 

But realistically why do you feel you have to stop the machine?  Unless the machine is in your bedroom why would you want to stop it. 

You could also machine half or part of the picture if you don't want to run it over knight.  I'm sure Vcarve has the ability to select a portion of the geometry or picture. 

You can also feed hold the machine, then record the line number or contents and the next day insert the safety lines into a short program, then continue cutting from the point you stopped at the day before. You can use a GOTO command to tell the machine which line to start with right after the safety line. If you don't have N line numbers, you can place an N1 before the line you stopped at the day before and use GOTO 1.

It is a very common thing for machine shops to run machines unattended, even for days at a time like over a weekend. 

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 08:57:50 PM »
I'm new to all this CNC stuff. Just don't have the confidence with the machine due to lack of experience and run  time. I thought of letting it run and my wife reminded me of a mistake I made and broke a tool. Like I said my mistake, not the machines.
Thanks enytned1 for the input!!
Do the gecko 201 drives reduce power after being inactive for a period of time???
olf20

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 03:23:24 PM »
If for any reason I need to stop a programme in mid flight I press FeedHold, look at the line number (in line number DRO) and take a not of it. Next time I start the machine I reference, load the code and type that number into the line DRO and press Enter. Then all you do is press the Run From Here button, press cycle start, you will be prompted for an aceptance of the position to move to, click OK, it will move then press cycle start and you are on your way.
Hood

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 08:52:01 PM »
Thanks Guys! I will in time let the machine run while I'm away, but in the mean time its good to know how to stop and restart
the machine.
Thanks olf20