Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:19:22 AM

Author Topic: Backlash and spindle speed problems in Turn  (Read 5064 times)

Offline TonyP

•  132 132
    • View Profile
Backlash and spindle speed problems in Turn
« on: September 28, 2007, 10:43:49 AM »
Greetings all!
This is my first post, although I've been lurking for some time.
I'm in the process of rebuilding a Boxford TCL125 lathe that I aquired some time ago. Everything has worked ok so far and I had good stepper & spindle speed control using the existing motors & drivers (although I may change the stepper drivers at a later stage). This was around last Christmas using V2.0.023.
For various domestic reasons I've just picked up the job again, and updated the software to the latest V2.48.  The backlash compensation seems to produce a strange variation in the step rate, which I can only remove by turning it off. ( yes I have a little backlash in the z axis)
The spindle speed feedback does not read correctly or control the speed, which just ramps up. All my settings seem the same and I can recover the original performance by revertiing to the old version.
Any suggestions?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Backlash and spindle speed problems in Turn
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 09:35:25 PM »
Hey Tony,
    Try playing with the shuttle accel setting (try it at .1-.05) in general config. and your backlash settings for speed and such.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline TonyP

•  132 132
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 10:02:39 AM »
Brett,

thanks for that, it seems to have sorted out the jog problem.

I'm still left with the speed being uncontrolled. It looks as though the index pulse is not being registered, although I can get the led in diagnostics to go on & off. The system worked very well with the old version.
What is the minimum pulse width for the index?

Tony

Offline TonyP

•  132 132
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:43:58 PM »
Hood,

I've managed to get everything working on the new PC, using V2.0.65. Not straightforward, as I found that LPT1 pin 13 would not drive the OPTO on my charge pump. I swapped all LPT1 functions to LPT2, which is a plug in card, and all was well.

I then installed V2.048 and found the old problem of incorrect true spindle speed reading and control was still there. I then upgraded to V2.052 and found no change.

Tony