Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:28:21 AM

Author Topic: stepper only moves in one direction  (Read 1719 times)

stepper only moves in one direction
« on: October 03, 2020, 06:51:34 PM »
hybrid stepper motor w/ encoder only turns one direction, clockwise.
the other 4 are steppers with no encoders, and they all turn both directions and run fine.

not sure what's going on. story goes I had a similar stepper running fine; about a month ago I was upgrading my machine, and noticed the old motor would only turn 1 revolution, was erratic, and just not working. thinking the encoder was busted (as I had done some in home wiring fixes), I bought the same motor and driver again. This new motor will only rotate one direction.
the stepper is wired correctly, I matched the same wiring as the older motor. The encoder is wired correctly, I opened up the back of the stepper and read the wiring callouts on the encoder circuit board and matched them with the driver.
i've also tired wiring both common anode and cathode for pulse/ direction, the rest of the steppers are common anode.
I've never connected an enable, or alarm to the system.

i've checked every dip switch, there is one that flips the direction, doesn't do anything.
other thought is that in some of the manuals, it states that the direction signal needs to lead the dir, by 5 us and ": DIR must be ahead of PUL active edge by 6μs to ensure correct direction". can I view/change these settings in mach? I hope so, because i'm not confident the driver programming software I have will work.
i've also played with the kernal speed. doesn't seem to make a difference, they are just steppers.

this week I plan on wiring up an rs 232 connection to troubleshoot the driver and test the encoder position.
anyone ever run into this issue?
i've got a buttload of manuals for the bob, and drivers. let me know if they'll help diagnose.
totally stuck
cheers,
HBS57 driver, 57hse stepper, stb5100 bob, mach3 on bootcamp! (yes it does work)
Re: stepper only moves in one direction
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 01:03:30 PM »
update:
am now using pokeys 57 cnc.
same issue, both drivers, totally stuck.
cheers,
-mda
ddd llc

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 06:08:37 PM »
You have no direction signal.  See if you get a voltage change on the pin when you press the jog keys back and forth.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 03:42:47 PM »
sorry, it was the encoder. I had to translate the label on the outside of the motor, from mandarin.
when I opened up the encoder cover to check the labeling on the encoder circuit board, it was wrong evidently.
no direction signal makes sense to me too. 8)

Thank you