Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:30:03 PM

Author Topic: Recommend me a high quality MPG Wheel?  (Read 662 times)

Offline SimonRafferty

•  46 46
  • Movie SFX Design Engineer
    • View Profile
Recommend me a high quality MPG Wheel?
« on: May 07, 2020, 05:17:43 AM »
I've bought a couple of MPG Wheels & encoders over the years, but none of them had the same, nice, feel as Fanuc or Heidenhain wheels. 

What makes a good one?  Enough mass that when you spin it, it will keep going for a turn or so, with enough damping that it will stop.  Soft detents so you can feel each click, but they don't interfere with spinning.  Nice finish.  It probably doesn't need a scale on it - as it changes with the jog increment.

I don't need a complete pendant - i'm going to build that!

My plan for the pendant, inspired by this post on Instructables:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Mach4-Pendant/

I'm not keen on the touch screen - I'd like buttons I can feel & operate without looking at them!
My plan (which may or may not work!) is to use the Lua Serial plugin to talk through a wireless USB Extender, to an Arduino on board the pendant. 
I'll write a PLC script which will establish 2 way comms with the pendant - sending axis positions and reading the MPG & buttons.  If that doesn't work, an arduino at both ends with X-Bee comms and feed the MPG + Buttons into the BoB as if it were connected directly. 

I'm not keen on the keystroke injection method most seem to use - it's dirty!

First step though is a nice MPG Wheel!

Thanks in advance,

Si
Re: Recommend me a high quality MPG Wheel?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 07:09:06 AM »
Hi,
I use a VistaCNC P1A pendant...it has its own USB plugin and works well. I didn't have to shag around making
my own.

Whether it could be said to have as nice an MPG as you describe....I don't know, I certainly like it.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline SimonRafferty

•  46 46
  • Movie SFX Design Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me a high quality MPG Wheel?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 07:20:15 AM »
Thanks Craig.  The Vista Pendants seem to be the only off the shelf option for Mach4 at the moment.

I could just buy one - but I enjoy building my own solutions.  It may not end up being as good - but it's mine!

That said, the ones I've made in the past have been pretty good - so, if I can make a nice one and publish the design + scripts then it opens up another possibility for people who want to build their own.  At the very least, it gives me a useful project during the Lockdown!