Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:35:39 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 not running canned cycles or 3d milling operations  (Read 1270 times)

Mach4 not running canned cycles or 3d milling operations
« on: May 19, 2021, 08:51:33 PM »
I recently switched over from Mach3 to a new computer with an ethernet smoothstepper running Mach4. The motion is much improved but Mach4 is leaving me with a lot to be desired. The first issue I would like to resolve is why I can't run any of my 3d milling programs that I used to run in Mach3, or anything that contains a canned cycle like a drilling operations. I've been reprogramming all the toolpaths for the things that don't run, but it's really frustrating after having developed a big library of good programs.  Thanks for any help!
Re: Mach4 not running canned cycles or 3d milling operations
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 08:54:52 AM »
Can you be more specific? 
What about your 3D Programs won't run?  The program should stop at a point and let you know what it doesn't like.
Same for the Canned Cycle.  Check out the Programming Manual and be sure your canned cycle is all correct.
Mach3 cared a lot less about what you had in a canned cycle line. Mach4 adheres to standards much more than Mach3 ever did, it is much more concerned about having proper syntax on your canned cycle lines.
Chad Byrd
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 05:33:13 PM »
Thanks for your response! There aren't any error codes, it basically just doesn't load. The code is there, but it doesn't load any graphics. If I try to run it, it does nothing. I use MeshCam for the 3d toolpaths, and I asked Robert, the developer of Meshcam about it. I sent him some sample files and he couldn't find anything wrong with them. He thought it must have something to do with the Mach4 install or settings, but I don't know what that would be.  This forum post is my next step.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 07:22:14 AM »
Can you attach one of your files for other users to try?

Or if they are commercially sensitive, create one that isn't, for us to try?

nick
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 10:11:31 AM »
Sure. Give this a try. I have also uploaded it to ncviewer.com and it looks fine there, but it won't load in Mach4. Thanks!

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 10:46:16 AM »
is your mach4 licensed ?

it normally is a timer thing that shuts it down after approx 4 mins but it may be the length of the code

forgive me I for asking if you have a lic. I am not implying anything

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 01:14:40 PM »
Yes, it's a hobby license purchased directly from Newfangled Solutions.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 10:02:10 AM »
Loaded without any problems for me.

Edit:- Tried it in both Metric and Inch machine configurations just in case.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 10:07:42 AM by nick952 »
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 10:08:16 AM »
Great! Thanks for giving it a try. So what's my problem? It must have something to do with my installation or configuration or something....but what?
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 10:39:17 AM »
Don't know why there's a problem with your setup, but Mach4 does seem to be quite Flaky recently, in some instances.

There's a useful tip in the last post of this thread if you want to try making a new profile from scratch, or even trying another install of Mach4 :- https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=44501.msg285501#msg285501