Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 03:37:27 PM

Author Topic: lazycam with turn  (Read 2824 times)

lazycam with turn
« on: September 23, 2007, 09:40:58 AM »
finally i have my lathe working
thanks to the gecko drivers a lot of power and smooth running steppers.
now i am looking for people who have experiance with the lazycam for a lathe.
the new version looks great.
but the tutorial only talks about milling.
so if anybody can help me further please do.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: lazycam with turn
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 07:42:42 AM »
I do not think you need lazy cam to work your lathe.

You have only two axis. Basically you set one axis to a diameter (or radius) and then cut with the other. It is very simple to write code to do this.

With CNC you can, of course, round the end of a bar, which is a G2 or G3 move.

The most difficult thing I have cut so far, is a handrail post, or stanchion, which is a bar with round end (for the top rail),  a round knob halfway, (for the middle handrail) and a half round base. I managed to program that with a CAD program, then wrote the GCode.

I would have a go at writing GCode first to get going.(There are tutorials on the Internet) I have tried lazy cam with the lathe without any success - and I think there is still a bit of development work to be done on it.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
Re: lazycam with turn
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 09:59:12 PM »
There are wizards included in Mach3 Turn which will do most basic shapes. Yes, you can round the end of a bar with a G3 move, but that doesen't allow for roughing and will get ugly in a real hurry if there's any real stock to remove, and you try to machine it off in one pass! The wizards allow you to set your roughing cut depth and finish depth of cut, really are nice. Brian and Art are now (hopefully) working on lazycam for lathe which will allow you to rough and finish any shape you supply a DXF file for, basic cut in the Z quadrant and reentrant roughing as well.
      DaveA.