Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:33:23 PM

Author Topic: Screwcutting issue under Mach4  (Read 4033 times)

Re: Screwcutting issue under Mach4
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 04:55:16 AM »
Hi,

All Other functions good. Mach3, same hardware good.

I thought you said that you could not control the speed, how then can you say all other functions are good?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 05:09:23 AM »
Never said I cannot control the speed. ONLY in Screwcutting where something other than I is in control of the spindle speed (and stuffing it up)
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 07:32:12 AM »
I will send a message to Greg and Andy, they may be able to make it work.

If you want to have some fun make an RC circuit and convert the PWM into a voltage. This is how we did it back in the day :)

What do you have for a spindle drive? Can you simply talk to the VFD over modbus? I don’t use analog very often anymore. Why wire when you can talk to the device :).

Sending a message now to the ESS guys
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 08:44:29 AM »
Brian
That's good of you. Thank you, it will be a big help if we can get this to work as is. Primarily this is my development machine for Ezilathe, and I do need to get back to mach3 periodically, just to check I haven't stuffed it up, so less hardware changes the better.
Managed to get a simple PWM - voltage board on ebay, cheaper than buying the components here, not much of a change to the hardware if required.

My spindle drive is a Chinese AC servo motor (very good, inexpensive, using them a lot these days) but no Modbus in mine (Option only). This gives me the capacity to use spindle as a Drive "C". Very handy.
The mention of RS-232 these days brings back too many memories of days spent fiddling with cables and protocols on old PLC's. Probably will consider Modbus, but not yet.
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2020, 08:44:42 AM »
Had a conversation with Greg and he told me that he fixed an issue in the ESS firmware that may sort your issue. Please get the latest plugin from them and test. This is what he told me he fixed:
 "The fix allowed a specific motor to continue at the last commanded velocity while it waited, and then the spindle would continue spinning."
I think you may be in luck! This was done 3-4 months ago

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2020, 11:16:57 AM »
OP has the latest version of the ESS plugin, v253, which IS about 4 months old, so that's likely not going to fix him up.
--
Tom
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 04:28:08 PM »
hello, how have you configured the encoder ?. I also have a problem with threading. But in my case the tool is positioned and does not advance as you do. So I ask you if you have done any special settings or something. Might you help me? thanks
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2020, 09:22:06 PM »
Brian. Thank you, but already have the latest ESS Build 253. On the warp9 forum, an issue with OB spindles (sounds like the one you mention as fixed above). Hasn't fixed my problem. Will try PWM to Voltage board when it comes (Will post result). Also looking forward to ESS build 254 (Coming soon !). Just downloaded Mach4 4.0.0.4446 as beta, will sit on that, as problem seems to be ESS.

Jose Luis. I have a Mach3 style single pulse per rev index pulse in Mach4. However it does need to be configured in both the Mach4 Control and ESS Plugin. In Mach4 Go to Control Config / Input signals tab and find "INDEX" (Well down the list, near Estop). In ESS Plugin, go to input signals and find "SPINDLE INDEX (RPM INPUT)".

Hope that helps.
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 09:41:53 AM »
Hello machtank, thank you very much for answering. From what you give me about the configuration, are you using the csmio ip controller?
Can you send me a photo of that configuration you have? If it is not too much trouble?
I have the index active.
From what I have seen you do not use the same controller that I am using, and it does not let me activate that function that you describe to me.
I insist again thank you very much, let's see together we can put this into action. thanks.
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2020, 02:12:58 AM »
Now Using Mach4 4.2.0.4469 / ESS V256.
Using OB Spindle, still not working but different (Possibly setting of motor) Motor running at set speed to start of screwcutting, then Speeds up a bit, with a definite fluctuation, before settling down to a stable speed. Conclusion - Someone (Warp9 or Artsoft) is still Stuffing around with the set speed.

Thank you Brian for suggesting PWM spindle control, Got the PWM-Voltage board and set it up today on the lathe.
PERFECT… No fluctuation in speed at all. Just what I needed for screwcutting. Will cut some threads in a day or so, but (hopefully) nothing can go wrong now.