Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:40:40 PM

Author Topic: emco 5pc spindle motor help  (Read 14302 times)

Re: emco 5pc spindle motor help
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 04:21:24 PM »
Quote :-

"I want some extra power from the lathe spindle, and also some extra speed, and just 'control' of it would be o.k i.e spindle on/off auto, and rather than building a relay box, id want mach 3 to control it all with pulses.   the standard motor HP is around 1.     i want maybe 2hp/1.5kw which is a lot for a tiny lathe!.. but should see me good for parting steel with ease."

I would suggest a VFD and matching motor as a package. 3 phase is smooth power! From zero to twice motor rated speed, easy fwd/rev and speed control. You may need speed reduction pulleys for high torque at low speed. Polly V belts are smoother, with less vibration than toothed belts and you can make your own custom pullleys with a suitable die box chaser or V tool on a lathe.

Ian

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 04:36:09 PM »
2hp on an Emco Compact 5?   Seriously you don't need that, the original motor would have been well specified.  I'd even go as far to say that 1/2 or at a push 3/4 hp would be good enough.

As Ian says a 3 phase induction motor and VFD would be perfect.

Bear in mind the headstock on a Compact5 is only diecast aluminium and the bearings standard deep groove ball races,  there's a limit to how much power you can put into that setup.

Wayne....
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 01:55:26 PM »
2hp on an Emco Compact 5?   Seriously you don't need that, the original motor would have been well specified.  I'd even go as far to say that 1/2 or at a push 3/4 hp would be good enough.

As Ian says a 3 phase induction motor and VFD would be perfect.

Bear in mind the headstock on a Compact5 is only diecast aluminium and the bearings standard deep groove ball races,  there's a limit to how much power you can put into that setup.

Wayne....

thanks for the replys gents, yup 2hp is a tad over estimated!,  i'm a novice with electrics although not a novice with machining,  i feel the motor it has needs some more power.   help please!:  the motor says 0.3kw the manual says 800w which is it?, id like to up the power to at least 750w, if its 300w?, i would also like to implement a belt drive system that allows me to keep the same belt all the time hence the need for more base power.

so i'd like a drive which enables to keep one belt on all the time, also a drive which wont cost me a 2nd mortgage, and easy to install for a  first timer,... will this be the 3 phase or how about a 180vdc servo motor with drive, can you show me some equipment?
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 04:47:48 PM »
i'm going to need some help here if anyone can be so kind, i've picked up a DC servo motor and servo drive for a great price, the power seemed o.k?,  Its a parvex RX520JR1000 with servo drive included. rated at 2.7nm / 382 oz in continuous duty to 2800rpm. 130vdc / 10~12A. makes it around 1000-1500w peak.

I brought a C1 parrallel interface card a while back for  limit switch fitting, im wondering if i can also use the C1 outputs to indirectly control the servo drive.  i've not any idea about servo motors or drives so its going to be a long road for me but i'm keen to make automatic chips and get this spindle moving auto!.

to start with its french equipment so its 110v supply..  so first in line is a 240-110vac stepdown site transformer rated to 1600VA or above, you know the type you run on site for portable tools.. would this be o.k? as it allready has built in overload trip etc. I've been told i wont need a breaker in between this supply and the servo drive, but i would need a breaker inbetween drive and motor.  The servo drive itself asks for 100vac /12 amp / 1600VA.    from what i can gather i cannot put the mach3 output straight  into the servo drive, perhaps I need something in between to change mach's pwm train into analogue voltage?  what would be the best way to control this drive? do i have the option of step and diirection aswell?

somebody teach me servo drives in 5 minutes! i do not see another way aside just diving in  ;D

http://www.adamhutchison.co.uk/graphics/RTS set up manual.pdf

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 05:02:53 PM by hutchison »