Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:39:26 AM

Author Topic: After Homing the Z axis, it will not home again and I get an ESS error message  (Read 976 times)

I have just completed my long-planned ballscrew installation on my Z axis, and in setting it up and testing it I did a lot more homing than usual.

The issue I have found is that if i either Ref All, or just Ref Z, the first time after starting Mach4, the homing routine works normally.

If i then hit Ref All again, X and Y (and A) will home normally, as they should, but Z does not move at all.

I can get it working again by jogging the Z axis first away from, and then into the limit switch(which usually does NOT cause the axis to stop or generate a reset while the system is having this problem).

If I then jog off of the Z++ switch, and press Ref All again, it will then home normally, first Z, and then X and Y.

Error message History shows, "!!!!!!!ESS: Homing Prep FAILED for Axis 2 - ESS Motor 2 - MOTOR NOT ENABLED!!!!!!
-----ESS: ERROR!  No ESS Motor being homed!!! Homing will probably not work..."

But the Z axis (Motor2) IS enabled, and will move with my MPG, Gcode commands via a program run or MDI, etc.

Similar results when I just Ref X axis.....

I have never noticed this behavior before, but I usually only home once a session, so it may have been there all along..

Any ideas?

I'm going to post to the Warp9 board as well...
____

System specs:

Mach4 4.2.0.4410 in 4-axis Mill mode

ESS plugin V253

Windows 10 Pro Version 1809

I use combination limit/home switches. I have a switch at each extreme of travel for X and Y, and a single limit/home switch at Z++. A axis has no switches and is set to Home in Place.

"Home Order" has Z as "1", and X, Y and A as "2"My homing is set up with Z as priority

I poked around a little more and found that the pin for the Z motor enable was set to "FORCE OFF" on STOP. I changed it to "No Change", and that seems to have solved the problem.