Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:41:53 AM

Author Topic: CP motor, PMDX126, ESS...Limit Switch ++ tripped when touchplate gets grounded  (Read 2066 times)

Hi,

I would make the case that this is close enough... but I know I'm wrong. 

don't get me wrong, I cut corners to save budget and it is legally permissible given that I am an amateur, but the shortcuts
I take would not be permissible in a commercial machine.

I am surprised that Clearpath don't have a braked model. Then I suppose there are too few wires going to the servo to enact it.

I find that Clearpath are expensive for what you get. A 400W Delta or DMM servo and 230VAC drive costs less than a Clearpath
of 200W. Of course with a separate drive you can have many more wires for control features like a brake.

I have a braked 750W Delta B2 series servo and drive, it has in addition to step/direction inputs has 8 programmable
digital inputs, six programmable digital outputs and two programmable analogue outputs. It cost about $100USD more than
a non-braked servo, $650USD including three day DHL shipping to New Zealand. Clearpath cant get within a country mile
of that, first I don't think they make a 750W servo, certainly not one with a brake.
Clearpath CPM-SDSK-3416P is 365W for $424
Clearpath CPM-SDHP-3446D is 410W for $695
Clearpath CPM-SDHP-N0561P is 986W for $928

Delta 400W B2 series (160,000 cpr encoder) and drive $385
Delta 750W B2 series and drive $439
Delta 750W B2 series braked and drive $565
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
.... how do you handle the "enable"? ....

I don't really "remember" how I handle "enable"!! One thing I do remember, I consider the machine NOT REFERENCED once I hit eStop....period, and my Z does NOT drop.

I have two sets of contacts on my eStop. One signals Mach4, one shuts off ALL power to the drives. So when I eStop, I assume I need to re-home.
--
Tom
Hi,
don't get me wrong, I cut corners to save budget and it is legally permissible given that I am an amateur, but the shortcuts
I take would not be permissible in a commercial machine.

I am surprised that Clearpath don't have a braked model. Then I suppose there are too few wires going to the servo to enact it.
I'm with you.  I am an amateur at this CNC world, I'm in industrial automation... PLC's, SCADA, Instrumentation etc on the factory floor, so I know when I shouldn't take shortcuts in that world. But I'm just building a woodworking CNC just to keep my mind busy (and make my fortune on Etsy :) ) when I retire. If that brake addon wasn't so expensive I would have already done it. I just didn't think Z drop would be as much of a problem as it really is.  I have asked technic if a brake is an option and they simply said no, it's not their thing. Pity, it's the one thing missing.

I only spent about $250US on my 800 Oz/In motors, the c face brake for a nema 34 is $500 ! That's prohibitively expensive... for my needs. I do have an air assist counterbalance worked out. But while I am locating the spurious activations of signals, I'm leaving the motors enabled for now. Motion (steps) and VFD shutdown on estop. That's good enough for me.
[... when I eStop, I assume I need to re-home.
I agree, but my stops are not from estop, they are from something random I need to locate and the z dropping is more dangerous than anything else, so for now this enable is hooked to a seperate button.

I have just seen the power of these motors when I screw up. I missed raising the Z during a rapid and watched it cut a 1/2 inch groove, 3/4 inch deep across a spoilboard for 18 inches in 1 second before I could reach the estop. Didn't even slow down.