Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:37:59 AM

Author Topic: Help ...I need to Move Mach 3 from an old Pc to a new laptop ?  (Read 1125 times)

Help ...I need to Move Mach 3 from an old Pc to a new laptop ?
« on: January 09, 2020, 12:44:23 PM »
Hi
I'm Gary and im new to this forum. I look forward to reading and learning from your posts.

I have been using Mach 3 for about five years now without problems. I really do not go near any Mach 3 settings though other than the basic ones i know and need to create my cnc projects.

My issue is that it really is an old basic computer that came with my Merchant dice Cnc which im running Mach 3 on. It is time to replace the pc with a decent laptop.
I have the laptop waiting but i honestly do not know where to start. 

Can i install Mach 3 on my Laptop and then transfer all my Mach 3 settings from my old pc ?
Also do i need any new Hardware to go with the Laptop to use Mach 3 ?
Also user friendly wise would upgrading to Mach 4 be of any benefit to me ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Gary Don

Please go steady on the Mach 3 terminology as i really am not familiar with it.  ???

Re: Help ...I need to Move Mach 3 from an old Pc to a new laptop ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 01:00:53 PM »
Hi,
does your original PC use a parallel port?

Laptops are generally unsuited to parallel ports and if its new probably has Windows 10 OS which is also incompatible
with a parallel port. For such a PC an external motion controller like an Ethernet SmoothStepper or a UC300 is required.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 06:10:09 AM »
Hi Craig
Thank you for taking the time to reply i really appreciate it. Im still naive though and unsure what to do.

I'm going to assume my old pc as a parallel port and so a parallel cable from the pc to the cnc superbox.

Would this mean i need a cable which would be Parallel to Usb ? so that i could connect my pc to the Superbox?
If this is correct would it be possible for you to send me a picture of the cable i would need, possibly from Amazon or ebay.
Thanks again for your time Craig

Gary

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 06:47:47 AM »
Hi Gary,

As Craig mentioned, if you are going to be using a laptop then you will need a motion controller.

I think general opinion prefers Ethernet over USB connection and choose one that also supports Mach4 (you may wish to move to that in the future) and please avoid any of the cheap controllers that are made in China.

The ESS is good https://warp9td.com/ and so is the UC400ETH http://www.cncdrive.com/UC400ETH.html but there are others to choose from.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 10:06:32 AM »
Hi Tweakie
Thank you for your response, i've been thinking it may be a good idea to move up to Mach 4. Would you know if i could transfer my Mach 3 settings into Mach 4?

My biggest issue and worry is having to go into any Mach 3 or Mach 4 settings as i don't even understand the terminology never mind the settings.

Im desperate to do this move though asap, Vectric even had to make me a patch for my Aspire 10 to run on such an old pc. Thanks for the links ill have a look at them now.
I appreciate your time Tweakie Thank you

Gary Don

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 12:54:05 PM »
Hi,
Mach4 is an entirely new program and transitioning from Mach3 is not easy.

Given that you will require a motion controller like an ESS or UC400 to run Mach 3 OR 4 you WILL have to involve yourself
in settings. If you are familiar with Mach3 stick with it for the time being.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'